Show off your Red sex-links!! [[pictures included]] !! (:

P.s happy new year everyone !!! 2015 has just begun here in England !!!
smile.png
big_smile.png

We still have a few hours to go here. I just built my last fire for 2014.

Last edited:
I was wondering...
Some red sex links are very dark and some are a lighter ginger rather than an almost dark redish tone. My RSL was one of the darkest pullets in their run when i bought her. My question is do darker red sex links get lighter as they get older/ after moulting or will they continue to be the same colour?

Here are a couple of pictures. The one on the top is some from my last spring hatch in a grow out pen and the picture on the bottom is of some girls from a few years ago.

Last edited:
Well the red sexlink is bred with d
NHR OR RIR OR PR.
So it can range really.Rirs are a darker breed,while thePR is a bit lighter.

Well the red sexlink is bred with d
NHR OR RIR OR PR.
So it can range really.Rirs are a darker breed,while thePR is a bit lighter.

This is true. I have been breeding Rhode Island White females to a Pure Rhode Island Red male so the pullets that hatch out tend to be darker than they would be with either a NHR or PR male. The female RIR in the picture on the right or bottom is actually a cross of a RIR male with Delaware females. I did an experiment.

Last edited:
I have some darker and some lighter in color. They can very in their color.  If they are out in the sun a lot they may lighten up some. My Rhode Island Reds are very dark to begin with but do lighten up with the sun. When they molt the darker feathers come back in as they loose their older feathers on my RIR's
Thank you that makes alot of sense . I was just worried that mine was going to completely lose her lovely dark red fearhers :)

I have some darker and some lighter in color. They can very in their color. If they are out in the sun a lot they may lighten up some. My Rhode Island Reds are very dark to begin with but do lighten up with the sun. When they molt the darker feathers come back in as they loose their older feathers on my RIR's

X2. I have darker and lighter ones too. It can depend a lot on what the parents were too.

You have some nice looking RIR's cmom!

Back
Top Bottom