Show off your Red sex-links!! [[pictures included]] !! (:

Pics
This is Star, I got her at a local feed store that got her from Mt. Healthy Hatchery....she was labeled as a Red Cross (RIR x Columbian white) which from my understanding is a RSL. Well I have been looking at all of the RSL pictures on here and all have got white on them and Star doesn't have any white on her at all and she has this weird tail feather thing going on like a roosters tail feathers do. So my question is, is Star a RSL hen if not any guesses on what she is if she really is a hen. Oh and she is 15 wks old. Thanks for the help in advance!
I think she looks like a RIR, definitely not an RSL. She missing the white tail feathers and the little ones around her neck, and she's just too dark in general to be an RSL.

I know for sure she isn't a RIR I have 2 RIR and she is a lot lighter than them and a little bit bigger too. she had white on her wings when she was a chick. I'm stumpped with her breed. I really wanted a RSL but I love her all the same.

This was sold to me as a BO (very newbie I though maybe she'd get the BO feathers. HA!) I was SOOO excited to find out what she is yesterday. I can't wait to get more like her. She is the first to greet me most days. I don't think she's laying yet, but I've been told she is old enough. She has only recently begun to allow our roo near her. He has to tackle her first. I read somewhere that the eyes, beak, feet and legs will fade as hens lay. Is that true with these birds too?

Last edited:

This was sold to me as a BO (very newbie I though maybe she'd get the BO feathers. HA!) I was SOOO excited to find out what she is yesterday. I can't wait to get more like her. She is the first to greet me most days. I don't think she's laying yet, but I've been told she is old enough. She has only recently begun to allow our roo near her. He has to tackle her first. I read somewhere that the eyes, beak, feet and legs will fade as hens lay. Is that true with these birds too?

Nice RSL pullet. She looks like she's not quite ready to lay yet but it won't be long. I have never noticed the eyes, beak, feet and legs fading as the hens lay. She will start squatting when she is close to laying. Most of my birds started laying between 20 to 24 weeks of age. I have had a couple start to lay as early as 16/17 weeks old.

That is awesome news! I've been worried that there are eggs somewhere that I haven't found. My RIR and BR, and my one bantam lay in specific spots so I know they've got eggs. :D I'm really glad to hear that I got a young one. She is so fun and comes to visit me where ever I am in the yard.

She is def. A production red, her tail feather prob. got pecked out earlier ...they'll grow back!! and youll have LOTS of eggs

Back
Top Bottom