Show off your roosters

About recommendations I can help but it would help if you told the following(what breed of hens you have,do you want a bantam or large fowl,free range/pen or both,any other roosters? and anything else you want to add
so we would not be planning on keeping him with the hens....he has his own coop outside that he goes into at night. we relly just want a big protective bird who can attack the cats around us, and any unwelcome guests....haha. loud and mean maybe????idk....

I am super sad to say that today, our RIR free ranging rooster got snatched up today around noon. we have no idea what had taken him, and we are all so very sad. he was still growing all of his feathers in and was beginning to look very beautiful. Sadly, he didn't not live a long life, and was only 7 months old. yesterday I realized he actually began his spurs!!! he was super healthy, but I'm sure in a better place above.
hit.gif

Here is Romeo growing up, the last picture was of him yesterday.

I think I may get a new little rooster this spring. any recommendations?

RIP Romeo.
D.gif
Hi,
So sorry for your loss. We let a broody hatch some eggs and have 2 Roos that are 15 wks old. Thinking one will need a new home so not sure where you are in NC. The boys are just beginning to crow and both seem nice. Romeo was a beautiful boy. We are in Cedar Grove which is between Raleigh & Greensboro.

so we would not be planning on keeping him with the hens....he has his own coop outside that he goes into at night. we relly just want a big protective bird who can attack the cats around us, and any unwelcome guests....haha. loud and mean maybe????idk....
Well American games are very protective of there hens and there chicks and will attack about anything that comes in there terrtory and with there hens(game roosters cannot be with any other rooster because they will fight to the death).Jersey giant roosters are loud crowers and big massive roosters and protective of there hens.Barred rocks are nice size roosters and very pretty plumage.White leghorn roosters are all white with red combs and wattles and big crowers.Aseels are big muscular roosters that are real protective of anyone coming to there hens but they will have to be a one rooster flock since roosters will often fight to death.Brahmas are huge about 12 lb roosters and crow loud and are of course protective.Black copper marans roosters are nice roosters and are loud often crowers.Red jungle fowl are the wildest of all chickens and all domestic chickens today came from this breed being there wild nature the roosters are very alert and protective of the flock and are bigger then a bantam but smaller than the large fowl.Saipan jungle fowl can reach 4 foot tall a good rooster but would sqaush your hens when he mated too big.Sumatra roosters have up to 3 spurs on each leg and are guards for the hens and crows moderatly loud.Easter eggers(I have a rooster) mine crows all day and at night a couple/few times and they are loud crowers makes your ear ring a little and they crow a lot and he attcks me every time I go around them until I put my boot up to him or I give him a kick or two he is fierce when it comes to his hens and are little maltese dog about 9 lbs chased the hen and the hen jumps off her face and the rooster chased her down the hill and flogged her and thats the last time she goes near the chickens but shes was ok,so there bigloud crowers and pretty good protecers.Turken naked necks are neat lookin birds with no hackle feathers(neck featers) and they come in any color and I'm sure they would protect there hens well.But that's enought chicken talk for me you know how you can just go on and on about chickens well I hope I helped a little and I hope you can get a rooster in the future for yourself and your hens and best wishes
D.gif
smile.png

Well American games are very protective of there hens and there chicks and will attack about anything that comes in there terrtory and with there hens(game roosters cannot be with any other rooster because they will fight to the death).Jersey giant roosters are loud crowers and big massive roosters and protective of there hens.Barred rocks are nice size roosters and very pretty plumage.White leghorn roosters are all white with red combs and wattles and big crowers.Aseels are big muscular roosters that are real protective of anyone coming to there hens but they will have to be a one rooster flock since roosters will often fight to death.Brahmas are huge about 12 lb roosters and crow loud and are of course protective.Black copper marans roosters are nice roosters and are loud often crowers.Red jungle fowl are the wildest of all chickens and all domestic chickens today came from this breed being there wild nature the roosters are very alert and protective of the flock and are bigger then a bantam but smaller than the large fowl.Saipan jungle fowl can reach 4 foot tall a good rooster but would sqaush your hens when he mated too big.Sumatra roosters have up to 3 spurs on each leg and are guards for the hens and crows moderatly loud.Easter eggers(I have a rooster) mine crows all day and at night a couple/few times and they are loud crowers makes your ear ring a little and they crow a lot and he attcks me every time I go around them until I put my boot up to him or I give him a kick or two he is fierce when it comes to his hens and are little maltese dog about 9 lbs chased the hen and the hen jumps off her face and the rooster chased her down the hill and flogged her and thats the last time she goes near the chickens but shes was ok,so there bigloud crowers and pretty good protecers.Turken naked necks are neat lookin birds with no hackle feathers(neck featers) and they come in any color and I'm sure they would protect there hens well.But that's enought chicken talk for me you know how you can just go on and on about chickens well I hope I helped a little and I hope you can get a rooster in the future for yourself and your hens and best wishes:cd :)
Wow thank you!!! This elped alot!!

Rudy is cochin bantam rooster and is the prize of my flock. He successfully sired 5 chicks this fall who are now 4 weeks old. He is very friendly and easy going. I have never had a single quarrel with this rooster. He is just awesome!

All the pics were taken this afternoon :)

Back
Top Bottom