Show off your roosters

Pure English Silver Laced rooster brought over from England Excellent example of the Pure English Silver Laced Orpingtons, occasional young offspring's available.

Attachments

• More SKIP 04-04-15 125.JPG
    More SKIP 04-04-15 125.JPG
    906.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 3-28-15 skip again 073.jpg
    3-28-15 skip again 073.jpg
    578 KB · Views: 13
Having spurs doesn't make a rooster aggressive. Also, hens can have spurs too, so don't rely on spurs to tell if you have a rooster or a hen.
I know they roosters. I'm only saying that currently they don't have any which our silkie roosters don't either. Basically saying if they do become aggressive they hopefully do not hurt each other until they can be rehomed.

I know they roosters. I'm only saying that currently they don't have any which our silkie roosters don't either. Basically saying if they do become aggressive they hopefully do not hurt each other until they can be rehomed.
how to keep you roo from becoming aggressive , the key is to never try to take him away from the hens, if that happens the roo begins to see you as a problem , so i never challenge or try to keep the roo away from the hens, for the most part i mostly ignore them all the time and that has worked well for the 8 roos we have here, usually the head roo will allow the young males to remain with in the flock with out a problem , but as the young males grow older the head roo might go after them if they try to breed with the hens , so you have to make a choice then what to do if there is to much fighting and your birds are getting hurt, i put the roos into pens early on , around 4 months old or as soon as you can tell they are roos, and they will live together well, but i still have them here if i wanted to breed them to certain hens . so yes it all depends on what happens as the young male grows , it could work out well when they respect the head roo , and when they fit in & keep with in the pecking order, but there is no guaranteed right way, and asking questions is why we are all here to help each other..!!!

how to keep you roo from becoming aggressive , the key is to never try to take him away from the hens, if that happens the roo begins to see you as a problem , so i never challenge or try to keep the roo away from the hens, for the most part i mostly ignore them all the time and that has worked well for the 8 roos we have here, usually the head roo will allow the young males to remain with in the flock with out a problem , but as the young males grow older the head roo might go after them if they try to breed with the hens , so you have to make a choice then what to do if there is to much fighting and your birds are getting hurt, i put the roos into pens early on , around 4 months old or as soon as you can tell they are roos, and they will live together well, but i still have them here if i wanted to breed them to certain hens . so yes it all depends on what happens as the young male grows , it could work out well when they respect the head roo , and when they fit in & keep with in the pecking order, but there is no guaranteed right way, and asking questions is why we are all here to help each other..!!!
Thanks. So far they all get along. We have a lot of hens at all different ages so our two new roosters tend to stick with the younger hens and our 2 older roosters keep with the older hens. I'm hoping it continues this way. But our older roosters are also very docile so I'm really hoping they carry their daddy's traits.

i just wanted to say, if you are not keeping your young roo and plan to re home them my advice is to never let them live with any females so the earlyer the better to put them in pairs and in seprate pens away from the rest of the flock, this way they usually wont turn aggressive , so just keep them away from the girls & treat them kindly every day i have 8 roos here im keeping like that ,they live in shaded giant pens about 20'x20' with a good size dog house to keep them dry & warm, i feed them every day i tell them they are good boys and so on ,they seem to enjoy that , and are very easy to manage so try that , unless you have an aggressive breed thats known to have aggressive roos , i have 3 of those right now one BR & one RIR & one NHR, i put the RIR & the NHR in a very large pen, its so cute to see them happy together since they were 4 months old they are still good pals, i have to say the RIR & the NHR have always been very well behaved, i go into there pen quite often and they are fine , but my BR roo was becoming fresh and just wanted out with the hens so maybe its best to keep any aggressive breeds of roos in places were they cant see the hens ..? maybe just keep the roos all in one area of you yard in pairs or separate pens..? which ever works out best so they can see each other & have some kind of interaction with each other , the BR started beating up a Delaware roo , they had been together since 4months old so i separated them they can still see each other and the other chickens and both are doing well , so basically i have found that keeping the roos away in separate pens works out best and that way they have not learned any aggressive ways & usually wont become aggressive towards humans.

Back
Top Bottom