Show off your Silkie Cochin crosses!

Critter Crazed

Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead
10 Years
Jun 22, 2009
Hi.
big_smile.png
I'm going to let my silkie broody hatch some silkie x cochin eggs and I want to see what they will look like! I've googled images but there aren't very many. So if you would please show off some of your silkie cochins, that would be awesome.
big_smile.png
From chicks to full grown birds!

I have a blue splash bantam cochin roo (well he's more like a regular splash now
tongue.png
) in with 5 white silkie hens. What would that make, mostly white I'm guessing?

Thanks!
frow.gif

Last edited:
You'll find more images under the word Sizzle, since that's how you begin the process of creating Sizzles. Sizzles are a breed in development and the first generation is a cross between Silkie and Cochin. They aren't Sizzles yet, because the progeny would not yet breed true for several generations, but it is the first step, LOL, they're proto - sizzles. Once you find the Sizzle threads there are lots of pictures of first to about fifth or sixth generation Sizzles and in the sixth to seventh generation they start throwing Sizzles that look much more like the Goal we're shooting for. Thanks to starting at fifth generation due to donated eggs, this year I'll be hatching my first group of seventh Generation Sizzles. And that I'm looking forward to, though I am crossing back to Silkie this year for crest development and darker skin. Welcome to Sizzling...
smile.png
though I warn you, it's addictive.

Every time I cross splash over white I get all blue babies. Some people will tell you - "Oh the white is hiding something....", but apparently none of the white birds I've ever had are.
idunno.gif

Quote:
They're hiding black.

This is Lidya, my Silkie/Cochin. Except for the feathering, she's all Silkie, right down to the blue earlobes, which her Silkie father didn't even have! She and her "sis", an unrelated black Cochin, have been hanging around the egg laying area, so I expect her to mature soon. When she starts laying, she'll go in with my new black/lav Silkie boy. Lidya is also split for lavender, so one quarter of her chicks should be lavender. Hoping that those chicks overlap the half that should have silkied feathers!
31816_lidya.jpg

Okay let me see if I still have the picture. This is a Blue Cochin Roo and a dark Blue Silkie hen. I will breed more of these for myself. Super personality and I love the color. The gray in the back is HER. I will take a better picture tomorrow.
27406_dscn1348.jpg

Quote:
They're hiding black.

This is Lidya, my Silkie/Cochin. Except for the feathering, she's all Silkie, right down to the blue earlobes, which her Silkie father didn't even have! She and her "sis", an unrelated black Cochin, have been hanging around the egg laying area, so I expect her to mature soon. When she starts laying, she'll go in with my new black/lav Silkie boy. Lidya is also split for lavender, so one quarter of her chicks should be lavender. Hoping that those chicks overlap the half that should have silkied feathers!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/31816_lidya.jpg

The mix is definately a good one IMO. Mine too has the Soft Cochin feathers and I like the Dark eyes. She is growing up to be a nice looking bird.

Back
Top Bottom