Show off your small or cheap made coop

The only materials I had to buy were hardware cloth, 2x4s & screws. That was around $130. Most of which is the hardware cloth. We've got foxes & coyotes around here, not to mention the hawks, raccoons, skunks, opossums & stray cats. Hardware cloth was a must. The bottom of the run is a piece of chain link fence so no one can dig under. Once they eat up all the grass I will put sand in the run. I also have another coop & run which I use sand in. I bought 3 tons of sand for $50 which is enough for both. The playhouse was given to us.

mine cost 10 dollars and is very small footprint of 22 inchs by 43 inchs. Please excuse the mess we just finished building it and painting it. We. Only bought paint brushs and the top has hinges so it can be opened and cleaned :) I'm so glad to see other people useing their brains :).

My tractor was a combination of thrift and splurge. The roof was made of free vinyl siding I got off of craigslist, and I paid about $35 for the fencing and decorations. The dog house I already owned and I already had the hardware cloth in my garage. I also bought some of the lumber, the lawnmower wheels, and the screening. Overall I think I spent $100 for this project, but obviously someone else could spend more/less depending on their situation. I used a lot of free/reclaimed items for the meat and bones of the tractor and then spent some money to make it look cute. I would have to say though that making it look good was a priority for me since I live in a subdivision and I didn't want any neighbors to complain of an eyesore. But for someone that doesn't need something aesthetically pleasing, you can make this without decoration pretty cheap with reclaimed materials.

I take pics with my phone so I don't know how to get them here, but my "Coop" is just an emptied out shed with a bird cage bottom in it between 2 cinder blocks. Laying across the blocks is a flat edger that is held in place with bricks. This doubles as a floor scraper when not in use as a roost. The outside "yard" is actually a XL dog kennel with the bottom pan on top for rain protection, and it has a "yard" of rabbit wire surrounding the front that I got for nothing from a customer. Hardware cloth across the top of it keeps the girls in (sort of!)

Not sure if I attached pictures right. My tractor is a rebuild from a friends old tractor. They bought one and were going to throw this away. I had to take it apart completely and build new base. I painted the d wood and changed to what we call rat wire. I also added a Third nesting box. Sides come off o. The right to have access to food. It is working great.

Last edited:
Hi. I moved into an old house last year and found an old coop at the back of the garden. I put a new floor in, a new roof on, fenced it in, netted over the top and then painted it all blue. My hens moved in yesterday. I'm new to keeping chickens but already learning by posts on BYC.

Last edited:
Spent a few hours putting together some junk wood and old shelves that I found in my garage! It's a new house for 2 of my hens, as they seems to be getting pushed out of their house by the other 3! Should have it finished tomorrow!! Total cost.. £5.50!

I'm no kind of carpenter, but I turned an old armoire on its side and cut out part of the shelves for nest boxes. A baby safety lock holds the doors shut. I had to buy a small run, but the house is all me.
[/IMG]

A friend of mine gave me his old one, totally rotted out bottom so I replaced it. The roof was rotted and leaking replaced that to with rubber roofing. Added the outside nestboxes and installed a automatic door, pretty nice little winter project and the girls seem happy.

Back
Top Bottom