Show quality geese?

lecobb

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 24, 2010
Our state fair is coming up, and I think it could be fun to try showing our geese. I wouldn't want to put them through the stress of travelling and spending so much time away from home if they aren't show quality though.

I'm not sure how much I believe it, but the man we bought our embdens from said that he bought them for $75 a gosling from show stock. He didn't elaborate on the pomeranians. We have a trio of each.

These were casually snapped pictures. Are there certain angles that would be more helpful?

Pomeranian gander (Johnny Cash) and embden hen (Stevie Nicks)
geese3.jpg

Embden gander (Elvis) and pomeranian hen (Reba)
geese2.jpg

Embden gander (Elvis) and hen (Stevie Nicks?) and pomeranian hen (Reba)
geese-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi. I'm afraid can't be of much help as I'm unsure of the standards required in the USA for these breeds. However I think they're all lovely birds. From a personal point of view I love your male Pom. He looks a very nice Gander, very handsome. Why not take him to the show and see how he does. Enjoy yourself and best of luck. Pete
wink.png

Last edited:
An under belly view would be helpfull for the pomeranians they are supposed to only have one lobe on their paunch (the part that hangs dpwn at the rear. most geese have 2 lobes or lack a paunch entirely. Frankiy your Ebdems look small, If fully grown they should be bigger than the Pom. Is there any chance of entering them in a smaller local show. The judge could be a big help! Many breeders will not take their best birds to a fair the time length is too hard on the birds so you could have winners. Best of Luck!

These guys are so hard to get pictures of!

I may be looking at the wrong thing, but the pom gander has two equal lobes. One of the hens has a very tiny lobe on one side, and nearly touching the ground on the other. The other hen was somewhere in between.

I think the embdens look small because the pomeranian gander is so huge. The pom hens are much smaller than everyone else. Some of the new pictures show the size difference better.

100_1079.jpg

100_1081.jpg

100_1084.jpg

100_1078.jpg

I haven't shown or judged in years. My suggestion would be that you get a Standard of Perfection to go by. That is what they will be measured by, and pictures don't really allow an effiecient wy of assessing a bird.

GD- I'm impressed!

Clint

I say, go ahead and go and have a good time. I can't evaluate by the photos, but they are at least good enough that you don't have to be embarrassed to be seen with them.

The basics on Pomeranians: single lobe, blue eyes, spot on the back should be roughly heart shaped. No white around the bill would be better, but white around the bill is so common that it is acceptable and doesn't stop a bird from being shown.

I appreciate the opinions. I certainly know it's hard to judge by poor quality pictures.

Speceider, since the primary purpose of these guys is cool pets, the Standard of Perfection isn't really in the cards right now. Unfortunately, $60 buys a lot of goose food. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom