Show quality geese

J.Dogg

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 3, 2011
Hello,

I would like to know if anyone on here raises show quality Giant Dewlap Africans, Chinese, Embden's, Pomeranians, and Steinbacher's. I live in North Alabama so I would like to have them shipped. I would appreciate any help.

God Bless,

Batman

I raise Pomeranians, but don't ship live birds. I don't know anyone who ships live exhibition quality Pomeranians. I've got a 10 hour drive (each way) ahead of me to pick up goslings later in the spring.

I think Holderread still raises Africans and Chinese, and he does ship goslings.

Mrs Magoo is somewhere in your part of the country and I think her buff Pomeranians look pretty nice. I don't know if she ships goslings, but maybe she is within driving distance for you.

Holderreads still had availability (as of last week) on most of their Goose Breeds. They no longer breed Pomeranians and do not have Steinbachers.

With all due respect to Dave Holderread just because you get goslings from him does not mean they will be show quality
even if the parents are show quality.
You could try attending large poultry shows and look in The Poultry Press for breeders.
Good luck!

Thanks for the responses. I use to raise geese about 30 years ago and got them from a older gentlemen in Tennessee. Do any of you think I could order from some of the hatcheries and raise some show quality birds? Again I appreciate any help.

God Bless

I've not seen any photos of show quality geese that came from hatcheries. The Pomeranians I've seen from hatcheries are pretty awful. Since that is my breed, I feel qualified to pronounce that judgement.

I'm not impressed with other breeds I've seen from hatcheries, but am less qualified to say who is correct and who is not.

I know you will not get show quality Sebastopols or show quality Toulouse from anyone but a serious breeder.

Holderread is more of a show breeder with a heavy web presence. I don't consider him a hatchery, nor does he sell hatchery quality birds.

One possibility, is that Metzer bought all of Holderreads Buff Americans. He was not selling any of them while he built up his own flock. So at some point, Metzer might be selling show quality Buff Americans. At that point, it would be possible to purchase show quality geese of one breed from a hatchery.

I've not seen any photos of show quality geese that came from hatcheries. The Pomeranians I've seen from hatcheries are pretty awful. Since that is my breed, I feel qualified to pronounce that judgement.

I'm not impressed with other breeds I've seen from hatcheries, but am less qualified to say who is correct and who is not.

I know you will not get show quality Sebastopols or show quality Toulouse from anyone but a serious breeder.

Holderread is more of a show breeder with a heavy web presence. I don't consider him a hatchery, nor does he sell hatchery quality birds.

One possibility, is that Metzer bought all of Holderreads Buff Americans. He was not selling any of them while he built up his own flock. So at some point, Metzer might be selling show quality Buff Americans. At that point, it would be possible to purchase show quality geese of one breed from a hatchery.

You can indeed get pet quality birds from Dave H. He calls them "utility" grade.
No breeder can produce all show quality, no matter who they are, not even DH.
Again even offspring from show champions do not all turn out to be show quality.
To get show quality you need to purchase started goslings that are at least 5 - 6 months old
to get an idea of their type and feather or buy adults who are show quality which cost more than most folks want to pay.
If the poster is just starting out and isn't going to show your options will be far greater.

For getting show quaility goslings it helps to get several goslings but if you buy from a breeder with good birds odds are at least one will be a good bird. The breeder goes through a lot of birds to pick out the birds to keep and use for the next breeding season.

For getting show quaility goslings it helps to get several goslings but if you buy from a breeder with good birds odds are at least one will be a good bird. The breeder goes through a lot of birds to pick out the birds to keep and use for the next breeding season.

This is very true!
big_smile.png
Wish they all popped out looking like the parents!

Back
Top Bottom