show quality speckled sussex ??

See post 2132 in this thread. for names of top show strains. Also Tony Albrittion in Idaho for Speckled large fowl ( website).
Best,
Karen.

Thanks Karen,

I saw that post yesterday. Those are mostly located in northern states. Do you know if any of them would ship hatching eggs or if they have in the past? We need better stock in the southern states. If anyone does have good birds they are keeping them a secret. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Eric

Last edited:
We are over capacity and need to figure out which chickens to keep, and which ones to rehome. These are our pets, so a good home is more important than money, so IF I were to sell a heritage quality breed (not hatchery) with a crooked toe Speckled Sussex pullet right at pol, how much would I ask for her?

She has been raised since a chick and is a semi-house chicken, so she is very friendly.

Thanks Karen,

I saw that post yesterday. Those are mostly located in northern states. Do you know if any of them would ship hatching eggs or if they have in the past? We need better stock in the southern states. If anyone does have good birds they are keeping them a secret. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Eric
Walt Reichert in KY for large fowl Speckled Sussex. You can find his contact info online under the KY D'Uccle poultry breed club.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Hi
I'm planning to show my chickens this fall and I have a question about tails. My birds are 4 months in these pics. I know she will likely change a lot in the next couple of months.
I really like this girl--but I wonder if her tail is proper?

Last edited:
I have a 3 month old with that same crooked toe. I think it may be a rooster by the comb but yours has a large comb so maybe I still have a chance of it being a hen. It is starting to get little bumps for spurs but I am still holding out hope. It is also a pet and very friendly.
We are over capacity and need to figure out which chickens to keep, and which ones to rehome. These are our pets, so a good home is more important than money, so IF I were to sell a heritage quality breed (not hatchery) with a crooked toe Speckled Sussex pullet right at pol, how much would I ask for her?

She has been raised since a chick and is a semi-house chicken, so she is very friendly.

How old is yours? Mine just started to lay and her comb kinda popped over night. With her toe, I wish I had done something about it when she was still little. I had no idea you could fix them. :(

Sunflower girl,
Do you like the bantam version of the Speckled Sussex? More birds for the same amount of space, smile. Here is a pic of some lovely examples of breed type in the bantams:
http://www.skytopbantams.com/sussex.html The folk at Skytop are master Breeders of Speckled Sussex Bantams. Breed type is the same in both large fowl and bantams. These birds are especially correct for ratios of color in the bay, black and white patterning.
Best Regards,
Karen
" Lilly" is an example of the breed type in the Gary Overton strain. Skytop made their strain by combining Overton and Mongold strains. They are very correct.

I have contacted Skytopbantams several times in the past few months but never received a reply. Wasn't sure they were still in business.

Back
Top Bottom