show quality speckled sussex ??

Hi,
 That 'll be Brian of English River Poultry. I think he is in Ontario? Oh wow, his Speckled Sussex are just[COLOR=800080]...wow[/COLOR]. Let me see if I can find a pic of that 2013 SS hen :   here ya go, 2nd pic down.
[COLOR=0066CC]http://ontariopoultrybreeders.webs.com/championsatopb.htm[/COLOR]
The symmetry and grace on this pullet just fills the eye and you just want to keep looking at her. It is as the great architect Frank Lloyd Wright said, " Form follows function - that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union." I believe that greatness is the measure of the perfection of that union.
   Now look at that pullet. She is a study in style and grace. The meat attributes and the egg attributes are  harmony in her body type. She does not fight against herself in any area of body type, causing that area to disrupt the unity of the whole picture and distract your eye from the whole. Instead, she is in harmony with herself and her breed type "fills the eye" . You just want to keep looking at her.

Now there's a breeder to try and get stock from in Canada!
 Best,
 Karen

Brian sold his whole flock last fall. (He's from Quebec) There were two pullets decended from his birds but they did not do well at the show. There were very few SS this year. Mine placed 1st and 2nd for pullets and 1st for cockerel--but there really was no competition. It was disappointing not to see more. Last year there were lots.

Last edited:
My neighbor has chickens also and he is retired and has a nice huge heated garage. So I bought a new GQF brooder for him to take care of the youngster when I'm at work and I'll give him some Speckled Sussex to raise also. I go to work before daylight and return when it's dark so his help is very helpful.

Brian sold his whole flock last fall. (He's from Quebec) There were two pullets decended from his birds but they did not do well at the show. There were very few SS this year. Mine placed 1st and 2nd for pullets and 1st for cockerel--but there really was no competition. It was disappointing not to see more. Last year there were lots.
Hi,
frow.gif

Wow...That's news. Well are any of his best or their kids out there and available? Still something to keep in mind for a possible strain-cross in the future. If you kept a couple in a side pen. Huge congrats on your wins. Very impressive.
Best Regards,
Karen

Wowza. New flock!?! Where did it come from!?!

I know!!! A breeder up here had to sell her whole flock of --I was told about 50--birds. A couple of judges separated out the best birds and one took them home. I was lucky enough to get the birds he culled from the ones he took home. I met him at the show I went to last month.

She had bought some birds from Gary Overton in (I believe) 2011. (To add to her already beautiful flock) I got to hold one of those hens while I was there. That bird was so amazing. I learned so much :)

I have two cockerels and I am guessing three pullets, two first year hens and one second year hen. --but I really don't know for sure. I am going to contact the breeder to see if she can tell me more about them.

I know!!! A breeder up here had to sell her whole flock of --I was told about 50--birds. A couple of judges separated out the best birds and one took them home. I was lucky enough to get the birds he culled from the ones he took home. I met him at the show I went to last month.

She had bought some birds from Gary Overton in (I believe) 2011. (To add to her already beautiful flock) I got to hold one of those hens while I was there. That bird was so amazing. I learned so much
smile.png

I have two cockerels and I am guessing three pullets, two first year hens and one second year hen. --but I really don't know for sure. I am going to contact the breeder to see if she can tell me more about them.
I can see the Overton influence in the cockerel as well as the darker pullets/hens. Congrats on the new flock! Do you have a mentor to help you decide who to breed to who?

Back
Top Bottom