Show Quality

amanda1083

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 11, 2013
I have 16 silkies that are about three months old, and one grown rooster that may be a year old, maybe a little older. Who does the judging and determines what is Show Quality. I think I have a beautiful flock, some look much better than others though.
Who can determine show quality or not?

There are a lot of qualified judges and exhibition breeders that can judge your silkie flock. Usually you look at each bird specifically to check for faults. Silkies should have black skin, a cushion comb, 5 toes on both feet, a strait beak, have a pose where their back appears short and the tail looks like a pompom and with well feathered feet (the middle toe should have a lot of feathering). Even if you had a few not so great silkies in your flock you can still breed them with other birds in the flock to produce really nice chickens from you flock. Good luck, feel free to post pictures and I'll add some pointers.

Have a great day!

Greetings from Kansas, amanda1083, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! You might want to post in the Silkie thread in the link below - some on will be able to help you out! Best of luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/65/chicken-breeds

welcome-byc.gif
There are several dedicated Silkie threads - just looking at the pictures and comments posted you will get a feel for what a show silkie should be. There is even a thread for grooming silkies for show. They are very, very popular.

Back
Top Bottom