Show Questions: silkie

Peskey

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2019
Waller TX
I used to show cattle a long time ago and want to get back into showing but showing something small. I absolutely love silkies & showgirls and would like to start showing. I have a few questions before I reach out to a breeder.

1. Is it best to hatch eggs from a good breeder or buy one a few months old?

2. Housing? I was thinking of keeping in a cage in my barn. (Dog crate or show cage)

3. Any suggestions for a good silkie/ showgirl breeder in Texas?

Thank you!

Hi @Peskey ,
Do you have any other chickens?
If you get a few month old one, you can start to see what it will look like. Some people also like to hatch their own chicks.
For housing, build a coop. I don't think chickens would be very happy living in a dog crate. You mention you have a barn, can you turn a stall into a coop?
Dog crates do work well for bringing birds to a show.
I don't have suggestions for a breeder in Texas as I am in Maine. Hoping others will come and help.
Good luck finding, getting, and showing silkies and showgirls!

Hey! I show cattle too!! If you have a spare stall that should be fine! I breed white silkies in Florida so I don’t know anyone from Texas, but you could have some shipped to you!! Bobbi porto is a good one that will ship! :D

Thanks for the help! We have 5 silkies and 1 showgirl. Can’t wait to show them in the fall.

Attachments

• BEA9BA62-4CC2-432B-AE73-A9DF395804DB.jpeg
    BEA9BA62-4CC2-432B-AE73-A9DF395804DB.jpeg
    402 KB · Views: 5
  • 1E3560B5-2DF7-456A-B9E4-BA9B7EE9D566.jpeg
    1E3560B5-2DF7-456A-B9E4-BA9B7EE9D566.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom