show silkie was sick because of bath?

cray4en

Songster
11 Years
Jul 24, 2008
Hello,

It is fair time here is Boone County. Last week was county and this week is District.

My children and I took each bird they was going to show 2 by 2 and gave them baths. The Cochin did great as well as the Amercauanas. The problem happened when I got to our Silkie boys. Black did good and I turned around to give him to the kids to blow dry. When I turned back around Blue was shaking his head in the water. I don't know what happened. Maybe it was the shampoo, maybe he got water in his nose (I don't know how he was standing). Cound birds be allergic to shampoo?

So, I wash and rinse him quick with the kids blow drying. He just gets worse. I put him in his carrior with his brother. They have never be apart hoping it will be alright. The next morning I overslept but check on Blue anyway before going to work. Blue was on his back and had clearly been vomiting. Black is talking to him. I was going to put him down but didn't have time. I flip him over to his belly and Black stays by his side. Blue got better over the last week and seems completely normal now.

I told Noah he could show him. He was very hurt he didn't get to show him but understood why. He has taken him outside and played with him and the other chickens. I have seen no odd behavior.

Question:

Should I try giving him a bath again or skip it? I don't think this is a APA show......your thoughts please.

thank you,

cray

I am including Eden with Black's picture of Grand Champion in County last week. Blue is Noah's bird and as I stated didn't show.

13567_incabators_and_fair_007.jpg

My guess would be he got some water in his lungs......more of a freak thing than anything else. Be more careful to keep his head above water and I bet he would be fine next time.

smile.png

Sounds like he put his head under water and got water in his lungs. I've had my silkies attempt this while bathing, I don't think they can see the water level. I never leave them unattended in the water.

I hope you have better luck next time. I am glad he recovered.

Thank you everyone. I will do them one by one this time. We start showing again 09-22 for district fair.

Cray

I agree. I always go over what I need for bathing and make sure the the immediate stuff is close to the tub-bins so I don't have to leave my birds unattended. Some of them get really clumbsy and will end up taking in water. Other will try to drink it even!
th.gif

However, I've had a few situations where my birds seemed a teensy bit sickly after baths. I've had a few show signs of the shivers, have this odd coughing (I'm sure a result of water in the lungs), etc. Nothing that didn't go away within an hour or so. The best I can say is to try and prevent this as often as possible and make sure the Silkie is totally, if not, almost, blow-dried thoroughly. Some birds do fine without total dryness right away, but mine need it done. Takes more time, but worth it in the end.

Back
Top Bottom