Show us your nest boxes! Ingenous design post it here!

Pics
I used a old pressed-board cabinet that had been in the barn for years. Turned it on its side, added partitions, legs, perches, and put plastic dishpans from Walmart in as liners. Super easy to clean. It's interesting, though, that certain boxes are rarely used and others may have 5-6 eggs per day. We've ditched the hay and use shavings in the nest boxes. Much less messy and less likely to have hens with impacted crops.

50766_cimg3025.jpg
If you are still on this board has this been working well for WA weather? We live in the Pacific Northwest and this seems pretty easy to construct.

4 boxes, roughly 12" wide.

Access from the rear of the house without having to enter the house or the coop. The roofline overhangs the box which provides cover from rain.

Access from outside the coop is the way to go. It helps if you make a lid rather than a door to keep from having anything or anyone falling out accidentally.

I don't know if I have already posted in this thread or not... but here are my nest boxes. Stacking bins from Lowe's - cheap, easy to clean, easy to stack, put them anywhere...

How do they get up to the second level boxes? How big are these. I have larger birds coming brahmas, leghorn and orphingtons so need a little big bigger than the 12x12 boxes.

We had a bunch of old antique apple boxes around the property exactly like the ones in this image. We just flipped them onto their sides and voila! The girls love them! Some of them even had lips on the edge of the box to keep the litter in!(I'm pretty sure the gentleman before us had pigeons, and used some of these as roosts :p)
Oh man got anymore of those laying around? I have been wanting some for inside our house to store items on the wall! I can't find these anywhere and when I have found some ok looking ones they are about $30!

Back
Top Bottom