Show us your nest boxes! Ingenous design post it here!

Pics
I love viewing all your pictures and reading everyone's thoughts and opinion.
I'm new at chicken raising and BYC. My girls are only 7 weeks old so I've been utilizing this time to put thought into my nesting boxes.
I have two questions: One, does the nesting boxes need to be higher or lower than the roost bar? (My roost bar is on the opposite wall of nesting boxes, if that matters). Two, I notice a lot of pics aren't showing ramps or "ladder"...can they jump high enough and accurately enough to the opening of the box?? Thank you for your opinions and advice!!!! :)

I love viewing all your pictures and reading everyone's thoughts and opinion.
I'm new at chicken raising and BYC. My girls are only 7 weeks old so I've been utilizing this time to put thought into my nesting boxes.
I have two questions: One, does the nesting boxes need to be higher or lower than the roost bar? (My roost bar is on the opposite wall of nesting boxes, if that matters). Two, I notice a lot of pics aren't showing ramps or "ladder"...can they jump high enough and accurately enough to the opening of the box?? Thank you for your opinions and advice!!!! :)

They need to be lower than the roosts and most folks have them low enough they don't need a step bar to get into the nest and they can hop up to those nest quite accurately. Mine are 3 ft off the ground so I have a mounting roost for them...my gals are heavy breeds so they would eventually wear down the front of my nest boxes if I let them land on them over and over.

Last edited:
Lucy our little grey Bantam went into the box this afternoon and has remained in the box tonight. <big happy smile>

Here are two nest boxes that I built from African mahogany and plywood, just spare wood that I had laying around. Most of the coop is built using all of the wood I had left over from a job, fences being taken down or other miscellaneous items I had laying around the house.

Here are my nests. Nothing fancy or unique, just some sturdy built ones that I hope the girls will like!

Coop side.

Egg access side. The board lifts up for the top nests, and lowers for the bottom nests.

Wow this is so inspirational! Not enough money left to make a fancy coop after upgrading a 4' fence to 6' fence, in order to deter unwanted 4 & 2 legged critters. Most of the coop and run will need to be recycled materials. I have been inspired to create my nesting boxes out of an old cheap rolling microwave cart I am currently using as a plant stand. It has two shelves that would only need a small pieces of wood nailed to the front and back to prevent eggs from falling out. The top will hold food/water containers to keep them clean. Cover the whole thing with linoleum tiles for easy cleaning. Thanks for all the ideas!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom