Show us your nest boxes! Ingenous design post it here!

My honey made these for our girls but as you can see they still want the same box :lau
1019171812.jpg
20190606_103445.jpg

We use 18 gal totes for everything, and my hubby, made our nest box out of those. In one pen he cut a square hole on the short end and then wired it to the out side of the pen so that we could check the nest with out going into the pen itself. In another pen he placed the tote or tub which ever ya'll want to call them, inside the pen, and cut 2 small square holes in the longer side of the tote, and then put a wire seperator inthe middle of the tub to make 2 nests, and then use a peice of wire to hold up the doors to the nests, so that when we get a broody hen we can shut the door so she will have her privacy.
We have also got a hooded cat litter box for a nest box, stacked buckets, and old srcape radio cover and an old washing machine shell, for nest boxs.
I find they will lay in about anything as long as it is an enclosed space.
I will post pics later.

Mawchickkidie
I like the covered cat boxes myself!

You guys are all so creative with your coops.

I was thinking about using a cat litter box (the type with the lock on lids) I work at an animal shelter and we are often donated those and they are always to large to fit in most of our cat cages with out taking up the whole cage so the shelter has a HUGE storage area FULL of those. I'm sure they wouldn't mind me taking some of them off of their hands.

Does anyone else use litter boxes? Do they like them? are they to big?

I use the big ones. The girls love them. I love them. Easy to gather, easy to clean, I've found 2 girls at once in there lol.

I have a flock of ducks and this is the nesting box I used for them, it might work for chickens too.

It's a pool deck box that has a hole cut out for an entrance. Then I added oval plastic mesh pieces in the back for ventilation.
View attachment 2978942

View attachment 2978974

View attachment 2978973
Very nice… if I find one of these solid ones, I am copying this… the air vents, lovely… I didn’t worry about vents on mine as it as it is not solid, so has air flow. Very nice design TheHerbs3

Back
Top Bottom