Show us your special needs chickens...:)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by artsyrobin, Oct 16, 2011.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Not to debate whether or not to care for them- but to show us your special needs and how you care for them
    this is Emily, a friend rescued her last spring and gave her to me, she lost her leg to frostbite,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

she hatched a chick and they are best friends
    [​IMG]

and this is Red, a feedstore banty cochin, for some reason she never grew- she is now a house chicken and will snuggle under your arm-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Awwwww! Thank you for giving them such good homes!! I don't have any special needs chickens at my house [​IMG]

3. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

I have one thats blind in one eye.

[​IMG]

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Here is Mary Belle, she's a Cochin I ordered from McMurray hatchery. She's blind in one eye, and small just like your little red girl. She's about half the size of my other Cochins. I bring her inside occasionally (when my DH isn't home [​IMG] ) and feed her special treats. Her being blind has turned her into our friendliest chicken and she'll come when you call her name
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/86165_090611084412.jpg
    In
    this pic, she's in the very front showing off her bad eye. It also shows the size difference.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/86165_2011-07-27_10-36-41_142.jpg
    And
    here she is with Pudge, her best buddy.

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Quote:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

awww, what a sweetheart- and her best buddy!! have you ever figured out why she is small?

so red rooster, she manages fine?

i have 2 silkie boys that are nearly blind, and they have a bachelor pen, seem to do fine-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. MissChicken

MissChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    Canada
    Emily is really cute. What breed is she?

7. flyjam1979

flyjam1979 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    i just bought some chicks from atwoods and i noticed one had only 1 eye; so i told the man i will give him a good home if you cut me a deal ( i would have bought him anyway i was just hoping for a deal) he gave it to me for free, after i got him home i noticed his beak isn't perfectly aligned as it should be, but i am hoping it will make a good pet, it is an americana ( mispelled)

8. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    THis is baby. her legs developed wrong. sadly she died when she was 4 mos old exactly

[​IMG]

9. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Quote:I'm sorry about that [​IMG]

10. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Arn't you glad chickens dont just give up when something happens to them? I mean most people would have been feeling sorry for themselves. I'm glad chickens are my role model. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by