Show us your special needs chickens...:)

Gloria: Barred Plymouth Rock - foot got stepped on by a horse. (She limps)

94962_hammys_and_chickens_463.jpg

Penny: Buff Orpington - Partially blind.

94962_hammys_and_chickens_477.jpg

R.I.P. Hazel: Buff Orpington - Blind in both eyes.

94962_hammys_and_chickens_065.jpg

All rescue hens; they were found in a 4x4 cage with 15 other chickens.

Last edited:
Quote:
my Emily is a modern game hen, and a talker- real sweet girl

there is just something so special about these birds- one of my first was a silky roo, i got him with another silky and he had a bad hip, i would bathe and massage that leg, eventually he could get around- he died of heat stroke a year ago-

mopsy-1.jpg

so now i am always on the lookout for birds needing help...
smile.png

Quote:
aww.... poor little guy- really bugs when i hear of basically a negligence issue... besisdes chickens i have a sparrow hubby found paralyzed trapped in our fence 5 years ago, took awhile but she came through- they all have a special place if given a chance

a friend of mine runs a chicken rescue in Louisiana, she needs some help- pm me if anyone can help...

I have several newly rescued chickens, mostly roosters, that need forever homes. I run Kasia's Ark Bird Rescue and am a cruelty investigator for the Humane Society of Louisiana. All are very sweet and loving, but I can't keep them all and am trying to find homes for the ones that my ex husand has and since we split up he no longer wants them. I have several people contact me saying they want roosters for cockfighting, and there is NO WAY I will let ANY of my sweet babies go to anyone who wishes them harm. They are PETS, they are loved and spoiled, get baths and regular vet visits. I can arrange transport to just about anywhere in the US......I have a Pekin drake here at home that I need to rehome. He was an Easter duckling attacked by a dog. His brother was killed. The owner left him in the backyard suffering with a broken wing, dog bites all over his bites and chest and a dislocated hip. She was going to dump him in a river.He had maggots in all his wounds. The vet didn't think he would make it, but he did. He is now fine, but the broken wing is paralized so he can't stretch it. He is bonded to my goose, Willow, but is attacking and tearing up all my Muscovy drakes, so he needs to go where there are no other male ducks. As for my ex, he has Muscovy girls, a few serama roosters that all get along, a few bantams, several hens, I think two Barred Rocks, two RIR, a couple Americaunas, some bantams, a silkie roo that hates me but loves everyone else, and several bantam hens that we ended up rescueing from a neighborhood that was planning on poisoning them. He also has two male call ducks (I think - or one could be an apple something or other.) Two wood ducks, male and female, not tame and I really don't know what else. I'm going by what he had at the house when I moved out. He also has a couple special needs chickens and several special needs ducks. One is a buff orpington, 3 sexlink hens, Also several mixed breeds gorgeous ones.​

This is MayMay, she is a rescue from Buffalo NY (yea, 300 miles away I went to the SPCA to rescue her). She was tied to a porch in the city and had gotten loose with the teather still around her leg. The leg skin/scales had grown over part of it. She got away and was running around helpless. She had either been debeaked incorrectly, or born with a malformed beak. Either way, she is awesome. She left me one egg a week after I got her. It looked like it took everything the poor girl had to do it, and it was the size of a Robin eggs, but I really think she did it for me!!!! She loves people. Just wants to hang out. Dont think she ever saw grass before me. She gets along great. Just takes a little longer to eat and needs to be hand fed anything big. She cant pick at stuff like the rest. My doll baby!

Yea, she is in my truck.
tongue2.gif

58585_may3.jpg

58585_merrychristmas_040.jpg

58585_halloween10_139.jpg

58585_newchicks4.jpg

She even has her own page with her 'sister' Elly!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=58585-the-two-new-girls

I absolutely love threads like this, and this time I can actually contribute!
the brown red one is my baby with a permanantly bent leg, but she is the spunkiest little chick in the trio.

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! Maymay looks so sweet! my little special one is only two weeks old already so spoiled, i have never been a big fan of birds, but since i got chickens that has changed, esp. my new little one "jack" one eye is not formed totally, feed store gave it to me for free, i really hope he is around awhile, i am quite attached. my hubby rolls his eyes when he catches me baby talking it and lovin' on it...........lol

What a great thread! I especially enjoyed seeing the blind hen, because I have a 6 week old hen that is totally blind. She moves her head and neck just like blind people do. You know how Stevie Wonder moves. So I named her Stevie. She has trouble finding her food sometimes and is growing more slowly than her siblings. I have to keep her by herself in a small pen. When I tried to put her out with her siblings, she spins around and around, like a top. She does better in a small area. She is a Light Brahama/Buff Orpington mix. She looks like a light brahma, but the shading of her feathers is lavender and white instead of black and white. All of the siblings are that color, except one. I believe that the darker one is from a Barred Rock hen. They are so pretty. I'll try to get some pics on later.
Thanks everyone for sharing your special birds!
bun.gif

I'm not as worried about Stevie making it now.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom