Show your favourite chicken pics and tell us the stories behind them

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
We've seen the best pics recently with the submissions for the BYC calendar, so now let's see everyone's favourite pics. Those funny moments caught on camera, the treasured memories etc. And tell us the stories behind them. I'll start with some of mine (click to enlarge):

This is Pippy. When she was a few days old we took her out of the brooder so we can clean it and I put her on the table, so she didn't get underfoot. DH put his coffee down on the table and clever little one found a nice warm spot...

This is Joy, our little chicken who refused to grow. She was with us for only 5 months and she was the baby in the flock. DH used to carry her around in his pocket like this and then I'd go crazy because I couldn't find her!

And Friday, short for our little "Friday surprise baby" who hatched on day 25 under the heat lamp. Shortly after I took this pic she tried to get up and walk!

Two of our un named youngsters. Found this old mattress and decided to have a little lie down. I love the look on the right hand one's face!

Cleaning up after the little ones I poured the sweepings into a bowl to discard later. They spotted the bowl and probably thought "Ahh, dust bath!"

Little wild chick who for some reason was so scared of everything. Getting close to her for a pic was a mission! I love the look on her face in this pic. We named her Twiggy because with her long long legs and fat little body she looked like a pregnant super model.

Heide, my favourite boy and our first and last attempt at feather sexing. Of course it was a boy! Grew up in the house with us until he started crowing. He loved riding on our shoulders like a parrot.

Stinky, a few minutes after he hatched. He wouldn't settle dawn, so I tucked him into my shirt. After a bit I looked down and found him like this, fast asleep, flat on his back! He was the first chick I helped hatch.

For some reason our chicks like sleeping on their backs!

Last edited:
Well first off.... this is Halo, our little buddy ended up to be a blue splash Silkie.... not sure on gender yet!!
He is our miracle hatch from shipped eggs with broken air cells! So glad he made it!!!
BUT he was one LONELY chic, as you can see all he wanted was a momma to cuddle under.... My son lucas and Halo cuddlin

VIDEO of how much HALO needs a buddy or Momma!!! look at him trying to get under luke!!

This is Halo now!
LL

Heide, my favourite boy and our first and last attempt at feather sexing. Of course it was a boy! Grew up in the house with us until he started crowing. He loved riding on our shoulders like a parrot.

For some reason our chicks like sleeping on their backs!
Sumi I love these pics and stories!!! First pic a fav.......

AND I always wanted to research why they fall asleep on their backs and if it can do any damage if they are like that too long!!! look at this pic I snapped from the bator with last hatch!!! Too funny!! I freaked the little stinker!!

LOL look playing dead.... just kidding!! resting like my springers do!

We had a lot of chicks in the brooder once and I found one doing the dead birdy, lying on it's back legs sticking up. I thought oh, no, it's dead
sad.png
. I leaned in and picked it up... I don't know who got the biggest surprise, but we both screamed.

Floppy, One of my chickens who sadly mysteriously died, getting a drink from the garden hose... I noticed the strange behavior they did this all the time with the hose, and so i finally took a pic of it. :) I hope you get as much joy out of it as i have.. :)
smile.png

Checkers Showing her Photogenic Side... Multiple times... She's what I like to call a camera hog... Usually I try to get pics of many different birds, but she pops right up in front of me, Like HERE I AM, TAKE MY PICTURE!! :D

Last edited:

Floppy, One of my chickens who sadly mysteriously died, getting a drink from the garden hose... I noticed the strange behavior they did this all the time with the hose, and so i finally took a pic of it. :) I hope you get as much joy out of it as i have.. :)
smile.png

Checkers Showing her Photogenic Side... Multiple times... She's what I like to call a camera hog... Usually I try to get pics of many different birds, but she pops right up in front of me, Like HERE I AM, TAKE MY PICTURE!! :D
Thos first 2 made me smile. Mine had this habit of drinking out of the watering can when I poured the water. Lots of head shaking and water everywhere, but they loved it
smile.png

Our first fluffy babies, I was such a proud mama!

The first time we let our babies see what OUTSIDE was like.

Sitting on the roost!

Chicken coop Husband proudly built all by himself!

Giant egg!

this i gladice and ezmee,the white one i foun a few months back,she had been attacked by something and was in a bad condition.after bout 2 months when she was better she was lonley so we got her a friend(brown one!) and named her ezmee :)
vff

Last edited:
Awesome pics guys! sorry i don't have access to mine or i would post them. looks like the giant egg could have been a double yolker!! you must have been doing something right!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom