Show Your Silkie!

thinking of raising a silkie. I live in a poultry friendly area, Alexandria Virginia and have a large yard. Could I raise just two hens? I don't want an large number of hens. Also where can you order just two chicks or should I incubate from eggs so they are not skiddish with humans. I have a large yard and am wondering how they stay warm in the winter? One more thing, how do I find a local hatchery or farm where I can get silkies? Does anyone have a book recommendation?

Thanks,

Melissa

mgouffray Silkies are pretty friendly birds, if you get them as chicks, or even young birds, they are easily tamed. I got all mine when they were older 4 months and up and I can pick up any of them, and they all follow my family members and I. I'm sure you can find a breeder near you, that's probably the easiest (and cheapest) way to get a small number of birds. Also most hatcheries sell Silkies as strait runs because they are a difficult bird to sex. 2 hens are fine, just as long as they have a friend.
smile.png

I ordered my first silkie--it's due to be here probably on the 31st. I can't wait--especially now that I saw all of ya'lls! I did have to order it st. run. Mypetchicken would sex them but wanted $10 each. I ordered mine from Ideal and it was less than $3! I'll take my chances!

Some of my silkies taken at the last show

Buff cockerel
6-15.jpg

Calico pullet
6-14.jpg

White cockerel
6-13.jpg

White pullet - Reserve breed
6-12.jpg

Buff Hen
6-11.jpg

Splash cockerel
6-5.jpg

another buff pullet
6-3.jpg

another buff pullet
6-1.jpg

Blue pullet
6.jpg

Oh they're all so dang CUTE.

Can you keep silkies together with regular standard size chickens?

Chelly-I know several people who keep silkies with other full size chickens and don't have any probs. My little guy is only 5 days old and holds his own. He will jump right into anything. Not scared at all. I just gave them grit for the first time and he got pushed around but he stayed right in the middle of the group!

Back
Top Bottom