Showbird breeder for chicks

wemimew

Songster
Apr 17, 2019
I was just talking to my local farm supplies store about feed that my whole flock can eat. I have some new chicks for the first time (yay!) and they were separated from the flock. Mama did not like this at all - she turned into a nervous wreck! I was expecting the opposite to happen but decided to test her in with everyone else and she is doing much better in looking after herself and her babies now. My problem is the other chooks eating the medicated chick starter so I asked the store what my options were and they told me to feed everyone including the chicks showbird breeder and grind it to smaller bits. Something does not feel right about this and I think the food may not be right for the little ones. They would still get medicated feed when they return to their little home with mum as the others can’t get in there - but she wants to keep them with everyone else. What do you feed your flock?
C273CCFC-3E16-4D4D-8FC3-C0820831ED1F.jpeg

That seems like too low in protein for chicks. Can you feed the whole flock unmedicated chick starter? That's what I've seen recommended here when you can't feed separately. It won't hurt the older birds, just make sure they have oyster shell in a separate dish if they're approaching laying age or are laying.

That seems like too low in protein for chicks. Can you feed the whole flock unmedicated chick starter? That's what I've seen recommended here when you can't feed separately. It won't hurt the older birds, just make sure they have oyster shell in a separate dish if they're approaching laying age or are laying.
That’s what I wanted to do, but can’t find any unmedicated chick starter near me. I might have to buy it online.

How about elevate your big bird feeder about 6 inches off the ground, and put your chick starter behind some 4x2" wire back just far enough the big birds can't reach?

That’s what I wanted to do, but can’t find any unmedicated chick starter near me. I might have to buy it online.
What's the medication? If it's just regular medicated with amprolium, the adults can eat that fine. No egg withdrawal. It won't hurt them to eat amprolium for 16 weeks.

I wouldn't feed the breeder to chicks, protein a bit too low. Won't kill them, but not ideal.

Back
Top Bottom