Showgirl chicken? What? Could someone please explain this to me? xP

Quote:
yes!! please post pics!!!!
ya.gif

/bump! This thread is too good for me to start a new one.

How much turken is left when your Showgirls are where you want them? I was guessing 12.5% but is that even close?
idunno.gif

I showed our Showgirl cockerel to our fair this weekend, to find someone with room for him... as adorable as he is (pics *cough* soon), we can't keep one more roo. My son was telling people who asked that he's a turken/silkie cross... but what %? Is there an established percent we can tell fairgoers? He was a surprise SG from a box of partridge silkie eggs. Pleasant surprise tho!

Thanks all!
L

He may have originally come from a naked-neck silkie cross, but he is a showgirl. It takes at least two generations breeding to silkie to get the silkie feathers back, and they are occasionally bred to silkies on an ongoing basis. Once the original cross is made, no additional naked-neck crossing is necessary or desired.

Quote:
Thanks
smile.png

So Turken content could be anything from 12.5% on down... I was close!
clap.gif

He didn't find a new home, yet. He's such a doll he's welcome here until the right home comes along.
39089_nychus.jpg

taken back in May; he hatched 12/09, so is more mature now.

I love the Showgirls.I have a few now,mostly whites,and one little red.Of course I only know for definate what 3 of them are (boys)....Heres a few.Still working on perfecting them.I would like to find some colored girls,if anyone has any eggs or chicks to sell or knows where I may find some.

Sheryl Butler has some really nice showgirls. I like them better when they are heterozygous for the NN gene and therefore have a little fluff under the chin still (usually) and a 'bowtie'. Showgirl on showgirl is not my favorite.

Sheryl also has some pretty nice buff showgirls.

I have a blue showgirl hen I like a lot, she is tiny, has decent type, dark skin, large crest, large dark expressive eyes, is a fantastic layer for a silkie (I consider them a variety of silkie as they are shown as an AOV of silkie), and she's quite heavy bodied for her size (like a little butterball turkey).

Sheryl stated to me that she gets much better fertility with the showgirls. I am certain that the outcross to turkens, although quite far back, has imparted some degree of hybrid vigor. I think they do tend to hatch better as well. My little blue is just a champ of a layer- I adore her.

Here is a white young showgirl from Sheryl.
Augustsilkies065-1.jpg

VERY young blue (believed cockerel??) out of my blue hen
Augustsilkies004.jpg

Last edited:
Just wanted to bump this thread back up! I LOVE showgirls and am getting a Lavender SG roo next week!!!! I am SOOOO excited! I plan on putting him with some blacks and working twords a nice lav Sg project pen!

I just HAD to pull it back up! I love these birds and never quite got why they have not caught on more. I mean sooo many people love silkies, and NN, so why not a Sg? Best of both worlds!
smile.png

I've only managed to have a couple.I had a nice looking hen about 1 1/2 years ago. I dunno strangest thing she just died for No apparent reason. I hatched one out late winter this year and it has turned out to be a roo but Dusa Rocks!He's somewhat Gangly looking But I love him anyway.I have seen a lot of breeder's with great pic's of Showgirl's. My hen was sooo pretty.I think they are fun and different project and the silkie trait is great as far as hen's.I wish I was able to try more myself.

Back
Top Bottom