Showgirl thread- for posting pictures and discussing breed!

I have been breeding SG's for eight years , and have never had birds with loss of feathers. If you breed bearded SG's together you will hatch out more silkies then SG's. When you bread clean necked SG's to breaded you will get all SG's and when you breed clean necked to clean necked you will hatch clean necked SGs but you will miss out on the beauty do the less feathers. The true Naked Necks(Turken) never run out of feathers," but have less".

This is my findings as I have developed my SG's over the years starting with just a pair and some poor looking crosses that hatch in my mix flock, this prior to my knowledge of showgirls.

So all my birds are decedents of that original pair. Improvements were made by adding a show quality silky rooster. then breeding him to my clean necked hens. and keeping all hens and any nice roosters to place back into the main flock. If you are constantly replacing your SG's you will never now what you have or how your offspring will look.

I don't mean to ruffle anyones feathers, but time is the true test, most all of our old time breeders developed and improved type through years of hard work. I hope this is helpful.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THS INFO,I JUST STARTED LAST YEAR WITH THE SHOWGIRLS,I HAVE ONE ROOSTER OVER 5 HENS,HAVE BABIES THIS YEAR.NOW I KNOW WHAT TO KEEP AND NOT KEEP

I appreciate your comments and happy I can be of help.

Just to add to my previous post, about adding new birds with no history to your flock. I forgot to mention, skin color. This is a big one. And can be difficult to overcome. In my experience it is not noticeable in chicks but as they mature,, it shows up. If you don't have this problem be thankful.

If your just beginning, and have already bred these birds, you have some work ahead of you, but with that comes great learning. Just keep the best you have and replace your rooster with a better one from your offspring. Keep hens with darker skin color . The next generation will be better than the first.

When looking for new birds to improve your stock, I find adding a silkie rooster is much quicker. Put him with a few of your SG hens for the season and again keep what you consider the best offspring. Then come winter pass the silkie rooster on. A local 4H member my enjoy his beauty and win his/her first blue ribbon. Putting a smile on someone else's face.

my naked neck showgirls are so happy spring is here. I moved them out of the garage and this is my morning seen; Happy! Happy all the time!

12 hens and two clean necked roosters. will be offering eggs soon. pm me if interested.

Trying to locate some nice white NN pullets/hen/eggs with full beards. I'm located in Michigan but can do transport from other states. If you have anything available please message me! Thanks!

Has anyone ever heard of or seen CUCKOO SHOWGIRLS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
I have one! It came from blueridge silkies. Not a great picture but his website has some photos.

Back
Top Bottom