Showing a Moulting Hen

Beth77

Chirping
Aug 10, 2015
Scotland
Hello, my Welsummer hen has started moulting. I'm meant to be showing her on Saturday but today when I was bathing her, ALL of her tail feathers fell out. Can I still show her? I'll attach some photos.

I haven't fully dried her yet so she still looks a bit scabby, I'll post some more when she's dry.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated

I'll start by saying this is just my opinion, but if a chicken is molting, or otherwise not looking it's best, it cannot be a great representation of the breed and therefor I would not show it. For me a bird should be taken to a show only when they are at their best and in excellent condition plumage-wise.

Another reason I would withdraw a molting bird from a show is because being taken to a poultry show, surrounded by strange birds and people, handled by strangers (judges) etc can be stressful and molting is hard on the bird already. Rather wait a few weeks, or months, until she is in tip top shape with lovely new feathers and enter her in another show, where she can represent her breed (and you) well.

agree 100% with sumi. very well stated!
i went to my state fair at the end of august and was saddened to see so many birds molting (many were half-deplumed).
you could tell they were just miserable. poor things.
also, I saw some birds with dry fowl pox, runny/crusty eyes and advanced scaly leg mites.
this is just my personal opinion----they should not have been allowed to be shown and their owners should be ashamed of the condition of their birds.

Thank you both for getting back. I'll probably just leave her then, such a shame because she's won so many 1st's and she's a joy to exhibit!

Back
Top Bottom