1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Showing at a county or state fair - question..

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Bec, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

When you enter an animal at either a state or county fair, do you have to pay admission everyday to go take care of or visit your animal?

2. tinychicky

tinychicky Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    not in my experience. if you work as part of the fair, you get free admission.

3. Bec

I entered 3 of my chickens and would like to go see them everyday to make sure they are ok, but I was unsure if I had to pay the 6$ every day to get in to go see them!

4. terri9630

terri9630 Songster

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    At all the fairs I (as a kid) and my kids have been to the exhibitors get a wrist band that gets you in the gate. I guess it would depend on the fair but the animals have to be cared for and unless they have someone to do it for you, you have to be there.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  5. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Our kids have to help clean up the fairgrounds in the spring, that "pays" their entry fees. At least half of each club is supposed to show up to get everyone's passes. Each leader also gets a pass. If you are camping, you get a car pass including in your camping fees. Parents and sibs can buy a week long passes to get in (doesn't cover rides) at reduced rate. I solved that problem by becoming a leader, Dh uses the camper pass and sibs are either in 4-H or enter something in the open classes, it is cheap and they get a pass too.

Oh, forgot to say, all cages/pens must be cleaned by 10 am every morning and the kids are responsible for keeping the animals fed and watered through out the day. Plus our kids must be there on show day to put their birds on the show table and if they are entered in showmanship, to also show themselves with their birds.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  6. bock

bock Songster

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    When I showed in the fair I got a wrist band, but my parents had to pay. [​IMG]

7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    At every fair and show I've been to, admission is free for me and other caretakers I may bring. But then, I don't leave for the entire day! [​IMG]

8. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Songster

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Ooh, Bec, are you showing at the state fair?!! I was considering showing the sheep or goats at our county fair. No chickens unless you're in 4-H at our county fair. [​IMG]

9. Bec

Yeah! I am taking Ceasar and Kenzi is taking 2 of her silkies, 1 pullet, 1 cockeral!

10. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    every fair is different are you a 4h er, FFA, or something like that, at my fair even the 4h kids have to buy a band its less than reg. but your best bet is to call where you are going to show and ask.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: