Showing Newbie... please help!

tellynpeep

Crowing
14 Years
Oct 4, 2008
SW New Hampshire
Hi; I know nothing about poultry shows. My daughter wants to enter one or two of our birds in the "Little Rhody" show next month and I don't even know how to fill out the entry form. It has boxes to check for C H K P. Also dbl coop, and "sale cages." What do these mean? THANK YOU!
Mary

Hey! I will be there too.
smile.png

I dont even know what the C H K P thing is. If you want to sell your birds, you will need a sale cage.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Dbl coop is a double coop for the really big birds. Sale coops are for birds that are for sale. If you are trying to sell the same bird that you are showing, you don't need a sale coop, but you want one for anything else you are trying to unload. There's a separate section for these.

Some other things I've seen:
SC = single comb
RC = rose comb
LF = large fowl
B = bantam or bearded
NB = non bearded - use only for breeds that come in bearded and non bearded, like Silkies
FL = feather legged
CL = clean legged
AOB or NSB= all other breeds or non standard breed - for breeds that have yet to attain APA/ABA recognition, like Marans
there's plenty more, but these are all I can think of at the time

Birds are cooped according to their size, breed, color, gender, and age to make judging easier. For example, all of your non bearded buff Silkie cockerels will be next to each other. When judging is over, there will be numbers and letters on some cards. 1,2,3, etc. is the placing of the little category, NB buff Silkie cockerels. The best NB buff Silkie is designated BV, or best of variety. RV is the reserve of variety. The best Silkie overall is BB, or best of breed, and the second best is called RB. All bantams with feathered legs compete against each other, and a CFL (champ featherleg) and RFL is named. Then comes best bantam, and then show champion. All breeds are narrowed down in this manner.
Good luck showing!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom