Showing RIRs, what to look for when choosing...

4Hchickenproject

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 10, 2011
Our flock is a 4-H project (or was started as such
tongue.png
). This fall my son is to show 6 of the RIRs. They are 7-8 wks old now.

While I'm searching the site, does anyone have simple, basic things to look for when selecting our 6+ very best to prep for showing. We plan to separate those 6 plus one or two "spares" to be the show stock. I prefer free ranging the hens, but the show stock may not be turned loose as often, since our pastures aren't fenced for chickens. Also, I read something about the feathers fading in bright sunlight, so we'd want to keep the show hens shaded to help maintain their coloring.

I'm reading everything I can find, but it seems the suggestions for showing are so long-winded and elaborate, I just need the basics. Thanks to everyone in advance!

Hmmmm.... I have no idea. This is a 4-H project, we weren't told much, just asked for money ($25 for 25 chicks) and told we'll show and auction 6 in the fall. I'll try to find out from the ag extension agent & get back with ya. Thanks!

Quote:
Sounds like a Production Class but it would be best to find out. There are different thing that you look for in Production Class and a class that is judged by the breeds standard.

Chris

I called the ag ext agent, he wouldn't give me any kind of answer, just kept saying, "I'll come to your house closer to time and show you." I don't think he knows... I bet he just comes out and looks for the "prettiest" hen, lol. I've looked through our booklet for recordkeeping and projects, "Growing Blue Ribbon Pullets" put out by UT Ag Ext Service, and there's *nothing* specific. My best guess is, my son will be judged on the overall PROJECT, with the "looks" of his hens - condition, health, appearance, etc. - being only a portion.

These are RIRs, which are, the best I understand, "dual purpose," so if there's a list of characteristics for dual-purpose breeds somewhere, that might help with the production part.

As for appearance... color is a big question, as our pullets so far are a wide variety of shades of brown, red, "dirt," auburn, with varying specks of black and/or white (though they are losing the white as they continue to get adult feathering).

jumpy.gif
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom