Showing Turkeys.

We've shown ours for 4 yrs now. We've always won Champion Turkey with the exception of once in an open class against Superior Farms at the Eastern ABA/APA Nationals. I don't condition my birds, they are strictly free ranged. Their condition is fantastic, as long as the show comes within the last month or two before a molt. By that time, feathers have taken a pretty good hit. As far as prepping them, just be sure the legs & feet and body is clean. IMO, they are either in show condition or not. Turkeys and waterfowl are the only thing I don't do a full body wash on for a show. I just choose the best conditioned bird in our flock and then will spot clean it just prior to going to the show if it needs it. A good conditioned bird is easy to show. As far as conditioning a penned bird, I would suggest a high protein feed, clean environment, not overcrowding and pulling any damaged feathers for regrowth if you must at least 60 days prior to a show.

Give it a try if your birds are clean and looking good.
smile.png

What about the toms dragging their wing feathers? And how do you keep the tail feathers good? Mine always get their tail feathers picked by the hens. They like to harass the toms.

Back
Top Bottom