1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Showing Turkeys.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kennyog, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Kennyog

Kennyog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    Do any of you show turkeys? Would like some input on showing them. How to condition them for showing,etc. Thank you.

2. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

We've shown ours for 4 yrs now. We've always won Champion Turkey with the exception of once in an open class against Superior Farms at the Eastern ABA/APA Nationals. I don't condition my birds, they are strictly free ranged. Their condition is fantastic, as long as the show comes within the last month or two before a molt. By that time, feathers have taken a pretty good hit. As far as prepping them, just be sure the legs & feet and body is clean. IMO, they are either in show condition or not. Turkeys and waterfowl are the only thing I don't do a full body wash on for a show. I just choose the best conditioned bird in our flock and then will spot clean it just prior to going to the show if it needs it. A good conditioned bird is easy to show. As far as conditioning a penned bird, I would suggest a high protein feed, clean environment, not overcrowding and pulling any damaged feathers for regrowth if you must at least 60 days prior to a show.

Give it a try if your birds are clean and looking good. [​IMG]

3. Kennyog

Kennyog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    Thank you High Roost Ranch.

4. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    High Roost:

can we see some pictures??

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    What about the toms dragging their wing feathers? And how do you keep the tail feathers good? Mine always get their tail feathers picked by the hens. They like to harass the toms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by