Shredded Feathers? Please help!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by little farmer, Nov 2, 2012.

1. little farmer

little farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a New Hampshire Red who is about a little older than a year and a half years old. I was stroking her this morning and realized the feathers on her wings looked a little shredded. But, it's just a tiny patch. It's not painful or anything for her, but then l realized she never went through a molt. Is that possible for a chicken not to go through a molt?? I was going to show her later this Spring, but I wanted those feathers to look nice. Any suggestions? I'll have some pics later.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've had quite a lot of hens, mostly X breeds, over the past few years and a few of them never showed any sign of molting. The "shredded" look of her feathers may be caused by mites. Have you dusted her?

3. little farmer

dust as in like dustbathing? Because she takes dustbaths regularly. Here are some pictures
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  5. little farmer

Okay, thanks. Should I make that their normal food?

6. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It's not food. You sprinkle it in your coop and run and on your chickens. It repels insects and mites.

7. little farmer

Oh, okay. Can I buy it at a local feed store, or do I usually have to order it online?
    So, does this mean that she has mites? If she does will the others get it?

8. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You should be able to get it a your local feed store/TC/garden centre/hardware store/farming supply store. If she has mites (it's a possibility) the others will get/have it too. Dust the hens and the entire coop and run.

9. little farmer

Okay, so when I dust them do I just kind of sprinkle some on them? Sorry, I'm new to this. :p

10. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    HI, sorry for the late reply, having internet access issues. What I do is put some powder in a biggish plastic bag, put the chicken in the bag and give it a shake. The chicken will not thank you, but it covers them well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by