Shredded gene in lavender

Poultrybonkers

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Mar 22, 2011
My Coop
My Coop
My first cross was a lavender orp with a black wyandotte hen(her parents where a blue laced silver rooster and a barred rock hen) bred the offspring together as two splits give 25 % lavender and the only lavender chicks feathers look shredded I thought that only happens when two lavs are bred together multiple generations. This is the chick
20211201_120540.jpg

My first cross was a lavender orp with a black wyandotte hen(her parents where a blue laced silver rooster and a barred rock hen) bred the offspring together as two splits give 25 % lavender and the only lavender chicks feathers look shredded I thought that only happens when two lavs are bred together multiple generations. This is the chick View attachment 2915321
i can't help, but i'll say she's super adorable!

Shredded gene comes out in splits just the same if you dont breed against it and its lurking in your genepool. I had 2 splits give me 1 lavender boy and 1 girl, the boy had excellent feathering the girl was the worst Ive ever seen lol.

Nope. The shredded gene is very, very closely related to the lavender gene. Similar to Pea combs and blue eggs. You can desperate it, but it takes lots of work. That's why people introduce blacl, because it doesn't have the shredding gene
Well this is the reason Im holding onto a black pullet and will be hatching more lavs to see if any come out better

I love my shredder orp, the difference in feathers looks cool and the bird itself seems to have zero health issues... so I'm kind of ok with it in mine. Honestly, it has a "rare bird" look about it because of the feather patterns.

I love my two lavender orps from Meyer, but they are so shredded they look like little ragamuffins.

That's where mine came from too- so clearly they have shredder genes in their breeders.

Nope. The shredded gene is very, very closely related to the lavender gene. Similar to Pea combs and blue eggs. You can desperate it, but it takes lots of work. That's why people introduce blacl, because it doesn't have the shredding gene
I believe that the "Shredder" gene is actually just an allelic mutation of recessive lavender, it is only expressed with the lavender mutation, no other Eumelanin diluter shows the effect(Choc, Dun, Dominant White, Blue)

Back
Top Bottom