Shredded office paper?

CrazyFowlFreak

Pine Hill Farm
11 Years
Apr 24, 2009
WV
Can I use this as bedding? Thanks~! Oh! Also, could I use my poodles' shaved hair?
lol.png

I tried using shredded paper from my own cross-cut shredder. It would work in a pinch but I didn't find it as good as pine-shavings - it doesn't absorb liquids/odors nearly as well.

I'm fairly new, but have used shredded paper for nesting box filler. The girls seem to like it, but it gets matted down. The problem with using it for bedding in general is that it gets wet & soggy- then it starts to smell & break down.

I would not use it if there is ink on it. The chicks eat a lot of their bedding and ink is not good for them. I use my shredded paper for shipping eggs though.

LOL I would not use the poodles shaved hair either...just becuase I can see an crop impaction going on or too many cozy chicks who don't want to do anything but cuddle in a soft bed LOL

Last edited:
As brooder bedding I think I'd rather use something else. Didn't care for it much as nest box litter either.

As coop and run bedding I thought it worked pretty well. Works better still if you can mix in just a little of some other type of bedding such as straw or leaves. Through some scratch down on it occasionally to encourage them to keep it fluffed up and you're good to go.

.....Alan.

I was kidding about the poodle hair!
lol.png
We're in the process of grooming them for spring, which means they will go from hairy monsters to shaved down to 1/2in. Each had a good mat in their topknots, so off those came, too!
lol.png
We're going to stuff a dog bed with all the hair!
lol.png

I use leaves, pine needles and grass clippings (deep litter method) in my coops and always mix shredded paper with it. The birds break it down really well and then I put it in the compost bin. I haven't bought fertilizer for my garden in years and have seen no downside by doing this.

Back
Top Bottom