Shredded Paper?

lil'chickies

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
West Texas
Does any one use shredded paper for bedding? Our feedstore ran out of shavings, so instead of driving an hour to get some for my chicks, my uncle suggested using shredded paper. I think this is a great idea for greener living. It will also decompose in the compost as well if not better than wood shavings, not counting the money saved on purchasing shavings or straw(which I can't get here). Just thought I would pass an idea along and see if anyone had tried this and had problems.

I have used it with no problems. I also use it and the shavings for my coop floor and I use just the shredded paper for the nest boxes. Just make sure the pieces are not long because they can wrap around their legs and cause problems.

I use shredded newspaper in my coop. I put down a heavy layer of the tougher paper like the ads and glossy paper. then cover with several inches of the shredded newsprint. I like it. Others say that it is smellier, but I don't think so. When it gets dirty it is easy to roll up and toss. If the chickens mat it down you can add more. It may not work if you have lots of chickens. I have 4 in a small coop, and my coop is perfectly dry. I think it helps wick away moisture and dry out the poop, so it's less stinky in my situation.

Imp/Russ

I wasn't sure when I set up my nest boxes so I put shavings in all 4 then in 2 I put shredded paper and the 3 hens we have only use the 2 nests with paper.
idunno.gif

I prefer the shavings, but if faced with a long drive to get them paper it would have to be. I found that the paper tended to clump a lot more than shavings.

Back
Top Bottom