Shredder gene in Lavender Orpington

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
Hi there,
Wondering if anyone who knows their stuff when it comes to chicken genetics can give me their 2 cents worth.

I have 5 Lavender Orpingtons growing out and 3 of them have the "shredder gene". If I breed them to a LAV ORP rooster who does not have this gene, what percentage of chicks will be effected? all? 50%? Impossible to know? Is it one of those genes that you can carry but not show? So my other 2 who DON'T have it- will they possibly have chicks that DO have the shredder gene? thanks

I'm curious about this too. Some of ours have it and some don't.

Shredder gene is a gene closely associated with lavender (self-blue) coloration that makes the bird's feathers look kind of thin and shredded. I don't know much about how the specific gene works, though.

Hi there,
Wondering if anyone who knows their stuff when it comes to chicken genetics can give me their 2 cents worth.

I have 5 Lavender Orpingtons growing out and 3 of them have the "shredder gene". If I breed them to a LAV ORP rooster who does not have this gene, what percentage of chicks will be effected? all? 50%? Impossible to know? Is it one of those genes that you can carry but not show? So my other 2 who DON'T have it- will they possibly have chicks that DO have the shredder gene? thanks
Not such a thing as a Shredder gene" so far no official name has been given, but for decades it has been called "Wing Patch"(it actually affect more than the wing, but it was called that by Jeffrey (1985) and reference by the book called "Poultry Breeding and Genetics" it's believe to be recessive and closely linked to the recessive autosomal lavender gene, I suggest culling all birds that show it.

Not such a thing as a Shredder gene" so far no official name has been given, but for decades it has been called "Wing Patch"(it actually affect more than the wing, but it was called that by Jeffrey (1985) and reference by the book called "Poultry Breeding and Genetics" it's believe to be recessive and closely linked to the recessive autosomal lavender gene, I suggest culling all birds that show it.
Agreed, it seems to be a simple recessive and if you breed birds that express the defective recessive trait all offspring will be carriers or phenotypical expressive for the trait.

So they could be carriers, but not show it?

I purchased these eggs at $40 a dozen- would you say that someone should not sell hatching eggs of lavender orpington that carry this gene?

Im a bit pissed because Ive now invested 3 months in these chicks....

So they could be carriers, but not show it?

I purchased these eggs at $40 a dozen- would you say that someone should not sell hatching eggs of lavender orpington that carry this gene?

Im a bit pissed because Ive now invested 3 months in these chicks....
Correct. Since they are probably related it is likely they'll carry the gene.
For the selling question... well, in truth, I've never seen a lavender Orpington with good feather quality so I'm starting to question their very existence.

Anyways, to test for the gene simply breed the good feather quality birds the poor feather quality birds. If any come out with feather shredding, the birds carry the gene.
Considering that two out of the five don't have feather shredding, I doubt you'll find two that don't carry the gene.

The shredder allele is attached to the lavender gene and will most likely be passed to each successive generation. I would outcross them to some good blacks and breed the F1 generation to each other to test. Use only the best birds with the best feather quality and cull the rest. This is a problem with this variety in most any breed but it seems that some breeders have been able to eliminate it. D'Anvers and bantam Cochins seem to have overcome this problem, Tom Roebuck has done well with the bantam cochins and they are not accepted by the ABA.

Blessings,

Bo

Back
Top Bottom