Shrink wrapped? Assisted too early? HELP!

hewaddel

In the Brooder
May 16, 2021
I found an abandoned duck egg at a pond and took it home to incubate it. By some miracle it was fertilized and my duckling has fully formed and ready to hatch. Yesterday around 4 p.m. it externally pipped. Today around 6 p.m. there was still no progression. Being the first time i’ve ever hatched an egg or anything like this we were a little too excited and kept checking the egg. I believe this caused the membrane to dry up a bit because it was yellow. Everywhere I read said that a duckling with a yellow membrane needs to be assisted so that’s what i started doing. As I was assisting it started to bleed a little and so I stopped. Now my mom is so stressed that it’s going to bleed to death and I just need more experienced opinions and maybe some suggestions on what I should do from here. I know it’s still absorbing it’s yolk because it making eating motions with its beak. I will insert photos of how the egg currently looks. I have it wrapped in a warm wet cloth to keep it moist. I’m so scared that I did it all wrong and now he’s going to bleed to death. He could possibly be shrink wrapped but i’m not going to worry about that right now.

Attachments

• B41C5097-1641-4DB1-8617-DADF50FC293F.jpeg
    B41C5097-1641-4DB1-8617-DADF50FC293F.jpeg
    540.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 10E490DF-D909-4AB2-B387-267FCF339B96.jpeg
    10E490DF-D909-4AB2-B387-267FCF339B96.jpeg
    374.9 KB · Views: 24
Okay yes yellow can mean the membrane is drying but not necessarily shrink-wrapping I would have put a warm moist paper towel around the yellowish dry area when you assist a chick or a duck you never peel the membrane off only the shell leaving the membrane intact because there is still blood vessels attached and not absorbed and I think that's what is happening so leave it be as long as it's beak is moving and breathing don't peel anything else off.

Okay yes yellow can mean the membrane is drying but not necessarily shrink-wrapping I would have put a warm moist paper towel around the yellowish dry area when you assist a chick or a duck you never peel the membrane off only the shell leaving the membrane intact because there is still blood vessels attached and not absorbed and I think that's what is happening so leave it be as long as it's beak is moving and breathing don't peel anything else off.
Okay thank you so much! Yes, I got a little too excited and wasn’t sure what was going on. Now that i have opened the egg Im pretty sure I know what happened and where I went wrong. Should I leave it in the wet washcloth in the incubator or is that too much humidity? Also do you think it could bleed out?

Okay thank you so much! Yes, I got a little too excited and wasn’t sure what was going on. Now that i have opened the egg Im pretty sure I know what happened and where I went wrong. Should I leave it in the wet washcloth in the incubator or is that too much humidity? Also do you think it could bleed out?
Leave it in the incubator right now it's the best thing for it the baby

The duckling finally hatched last night at 4 AM all on its own! It had dried gooey stuff stuck to it preventing it to spread one of its wings so I gently rubbed it off with a warm wet cloth and it’s doing good. It’s still in the incubator just so it has a safe place to rest after a long hatch.

Back
Top Bottom