Shrink wrapped chick What else can I do? HELP

Trinitydraco

Songster
Jul 6, 2018
Vermont
Due to a humidity problem 2 of my chicks that have pipped are shrink wrapped. They are not ready to come out of the shell yet but they were unable to get their beaks through the membrane. They both pipped externally without internally pipping. I didn't even know that could happen. I chipped away shell from the air cell end and made super tiny tears in the membrane near their beaks. Then I moisturized the membrane I could get to and loosely wrapped them in wet paper towel and put them back in the incubator to finish drawing in the rest of their blood. Is there anything else I should do for them? Will they be able to do the rest when ready or will they need further assistance?

Sorry, I don't have a pic. They are out now. Both had bad beak placement and were rather large. Due to the beak being at the small end of the egg when they started tapping it cracked the shell open and the chips fell off but because there was no space between the membrane and shell, the membrane didn't tear. By the time I got up this morning and discovered it they were all dried out with the membrane actually STUCK stuck, not just wrapped around them. I opened the membrane a tiny bit near the beak and then chipped the shell away from the air cell area. I moistened it and put them back in the bator. A few hours later all their blood was drawn in and the yolk absorbed. They were REALLY stuck in those shells LOL. The feet and head were so packed into the little end they couldn't get out. I slowly chipped more shell away, then waited to see if they could push out on their own yet. I did this until it was enough for them to get out and they are fluffing up now. I hope like hell I never have this happen again! It took FOREVER to chip the shell away enough for them to get out. Both chicks are the same breed from the same parents so I think it was a genetic thing with them being too big for the shells. All the other chicks are hatching fine. I hope my description clears up what happened a little bit. It was weird and from what I gather rare but sometimes a big chick with bad placement CAN pip the shell without breaking the membrane. I hope that this at least lets people know it can happen and what I did to get the chicks out LOL. Thanks for the info about the wet towel BTW. I had a couple people suggest it to me so I didn't know that I shouldn't do it. Coconut oil worked better anyway. It didn't dry back out while I was working LOL. I will post pics of my little weirdos once they fluff up. They are Ayam Cemani chicks and super cute!

They were shipped eggs?

What usually happens is that there is a bit of goo because of stress--shipping is a stress--which does not let them turn to zip after pipping. The humidity in the incubator will slow down the drying of the membrane but if the chick is stuck, it will still dry out.

You did what you needed to do to save those expensive chicks.

:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom