Shrink wrapped duckling help!?

Hello,

I had a shrink wrapped duckling that was stuck, so i got some of the shell off and she pushed her head and top half out but now her bottom half is in the shell still and shes not moving an awful lot, she is still breathing, what shall i do?
How did you know she was shrink wrapped?
How long ago did she external pip?
Is she making yawning/chewing motions? She may not be ready to hatch yet. Ducks are VERY slow hatchers

Leave her until she's fully hatched and a least a bit dry/fluffy. Since she's small, she'll probably need a little more tlc than the others!
the egg is literally attached by one little bit now and it seems to be bothering her and shes very weak

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 5
Whether its a chicken or a duck hatching, i usually just leave them alone in the incubator to dry up and get fluffy. Ive had to leave a couple of newly hatched chicks for 6-8 hours in the incubator for them to get dry and fluffy. Then i will put them in a brooder. They dont need water or food right away.

the egg is literally attached by one little bit now and it seems to be bothering her and shes very weak
Screenshot_20230324_140258_Chrome.jpg

Is this little pink thread what is attached?
If so, that's likely the umbilical cord which is very close to drying out and breaking. It looks mostly dried out. Possibly a little bit of blood left in it.
Give her a tiny bit longer, and once that looks like a brown thin piece of string, cut it as close to the egg shell as you can. Leaving a bit of length attached to her.
I had to do this with one of my ducklings.

How did you know she was shrink wrapped?
How long ago did she external pip?
Is she making yawning/chewing motions? She may not be ready to hatch yet. Ducks are VERY slow hatchers
was on about 20 hours, but you could clearly see it it was all stuck round her she couldnt move and the membrane was like vaccumed around her and not attached to the shell, shes done all the motions and all the vessels went brown and she come out of the egg herself

was on about 20 hours, but you could clearly see it it was all stuck round her she couldnt move and the membrane was like vaccumed around her and not attached to the shell, shes done all the motions and all the vessels went brown and she come out of the egg herself
Is the yolk all absorbed? As far as you can see?

View attachment 3442074
Is this little pink thread what is attached?
If so, that's likely the umbilical cord which is very close to drying out and breaking. It looks mostly dried out. Possibly a little bit of blood left in it.
Give her a tiny bit longer, and once that looks like a brown thin piece of string, cut it as close to the egg shell as you can. Leaving a bit of length attached to her.
I had to do this with one of my ducklings.
did that thankyou! shes fine now, all fluffed and in the brooder, moving around and all looks healed under her belly

Back
Top Bottom