shrink wrapped quail chick- What do I do?

RunningRabbit

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 10, 2012
The beak is sticking out of the membrane, but the chick is obviously shrink wrapped, as the membrane isn't attached to the shell anymore. The chick is peeping, but has been having trouble getting out since yesterday evening. I tried to moisten the membrane, but it's not working. The veins are still nice and red on the membrane, BTW.

Do I just let the chick work it out on its own by moistening it, or do I intervene? The peeping is def. weaker than it was yesterday.

How did it go? I have the same problem right now. My incubator must have been too dry for these Serama chicks. They still have blood veins, as I've popped of the tops of the eggs at the air sack, they're all pipped through the membrane and I have them in high humidity as well as a wet paper towel loosely on top of them (around 99% humidity with spritzing warm water every once in a while. They still can't come out since they have blood vessels and probably yolk to absorb. I have 4/9 that I'm trying to save, the others died in the shell and looked dry (hence my interference. Only good thing I can see is that the membrane hasn't pulled away from the shell yet, so mine are not yet wrapped, but dry they are.

Hope you were able to save your quail!

Search the peafowl forum... Someone recently posted some really good ideas there. I usually help them out as long as there is no blood.

I helped him hatch. His peeps were so sad sounding, so I broke out my tweezers (sterilized) and broke him out. He was weak as can be, but is now running around with all the rest. I had to leave him in my incubator until he fluffed up and was able to stand. Tough little booger, that one.

I had a similar situation with another quail just yesterday. The other quail was shrink wrapped after having pipped two days before. I figured I'd help a small bit. Wasn't worth it. The chick that hatched was completely under developed and just wretched. It died after getting out. Still had a marble sized yolk sac hanging off it's gut. Nightmarish really, the way this chick looked.

I guess what I'm saying is, it can go either way. On one hand, I managed to save a very wonderful little quail. On the other hand I had to suffer some serious disappointment and a moderate amount of horror for that under developed quail chick.

Would I do it again? I'm very hesitant to say yes. If you feel you can, then do it. Just be aware that you might open an egg and find something completely opposite of what you expect.

I helped him hatch. His peeps were so sad sounding, so I broke out my tweezers (sterilized) and broke him out. He was weak as can be, but is now running around with all the rest. I had to leave him in my incubator until he fluffed up and was able to stand. Tough little booger, that one.

I had a similar situation with another quail just yesterday. The other quail was shrink wrapped after having pipped two days before. I figured I'd help a small bit. Wasn't worth it. The chick that hatched was completely under developed and just wretched. It died after getting out. Still had a marble sized yolk sac hanging off it's gut. Nightmarish really, the way this chick looked.

I guess what I'm saying is, it can go either way. On one hand, I managed to save a very wonderful little quail. On the other hand I had to suffer some serious disappointment and a moderate amount of horror for that under developed quail chick.

Would I do it again? I'm very hesitant to say yes. If you feel you can, then do it. Just be aware that you might open an egg and find something completely opposite of what you expect.
Sometimes it happens... Sorry you had to go through that.

Yah, I do have them exposed now, so I must be careful not to let them dry out. Too many veins still to come out (and probably still have yolk sacks) But they can breath and I hope as long as I keep them moist they might make it??? I desperately want these chicks to be ok
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom