shrunk wrapped chick advice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Heluerto, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    I need to get my eyes checked, i thought for a sec there that this thread said " SKUNK WRAPPED CHICK ADVICE" [​IMG]

2. ShadowRooster

ShadowRooster Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    claremont, NH
    I had a chick that could not stand, too... he died after three days. I had to help him out... and he had pretty much the same problems as yours. [​IMG]

3. Heluerto

Heluerto Chirping

Jul 9, 2010
    Banbury, UK
    Quote:If you see the other posts you weren't the only one!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  4. Heluerto

Heluerto Chirping

Jul 9, 2010
    Banbury, UK
    Quote:[​IMG] oh dear [​IMG]. Any success story's? Or ways of helping it walk? It seems pretty strong apart from the walk

5. Baralak

Baralak Songster

Yes.. I have had 2 this hatch that wouldn't do anything but lay on their backs.. but wouldn't walk or try to turn on their belly. they would Just kinda lay there streached out. Here in the states we use an infants (poly-vi-sol with out iron) vitamin. I have found that a drop or two on your finger tip applied at the side of the beak will perk a chick right up. You know when they got it. Also mix about a half of a dropper full in with their first waterer.

Temp problems will complicate a hatch.. but they can survive and thrive. Mine was an over-temp problem.. so I had a REALLY early hatch.

6. Heluerto

Heluerto Chirping

Jul 9, 2010
    Banbury, UK
    well, this morning when I went in. he was sleeping and tried to get up, but was on his side, so legs were everywhere, however, although he still seems to be happier on his 'elbows'.......
    [​IMG]

he is trying to use his legs properly.
    [​IMG]

7. Raven81

Raven81 Songster

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    i had a shrunk wrapped chick on my 1st incubation & i had to help him out & the membrane was stuck to his eyes & was a real mess i didnt think he would make it. i ended up leaving another chick with him in the bator. & 3 days later was still looking like he might not make it couldnt open his eyes but 3 weeks later & spartacus is doing great.
    spartacus is the wee one at the back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    AWWWW your guys pictures are great! Glad that the little guys made it just fine...

9. Komaki

Komaki Chirping

Feb 10, 2011
    Don't worry, Your new addition should be fine. It's normal concidering what the little tyke just went through. Just leave it to fluff out and if the cord is still there, leave it until you move it to the brood box. Then with CLEAN cutters, snip it, but not too close. The rest will fall away on it's own.[​IMG]
    Good Cluck![​IMG]

10. Heluerto

Heluerto Chirping

Jul 9, 2010
    Banbury, UK
    Yep, he's doing really well now, standing on his own two feed and now comes running to the front of the brooder whenever he sees me coming - such a cutie - really hoping its a girl!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: