Shy Tom and Ready Jake

flatrockpoultry

Hatching
Mar 24, 2015
Northwest Ohio
My 2 year old Tom has yet to strut, gobble, or really even look at the hens. The new jake is trying really hard but much to his dismay the hens don't squat for jake. Much to my delight 1 hen started laying 3 days ago. Is cracking an egg and checking for the bullseye my only way of knowing for sure? BTW new 50 x 50 pen is almost complete. Photos to come after it looks like more than posts in a field.

My 2 year old Tom has yet to strut, gobble, or really even look at the hens. The new jake is trying really hard but much to his dismay the hens don't squat for jake. Much to my delight 1 hen started laying 3 days ago. Is cracking an egg and checking for the bullseye my only way of knowing for sure? BTW new 50 x 50 pen is almost complete. Photos to come after it looks like more than posts in a field.

:welcome

Could be your tom has, for one reason, or another, a low testosterone level or is otherwise physiologically limited (mating drive can be highly variable for any number of reasons). Separating out one male, or the other and placing that male with hens (out-of-sight of other male), could improve chances of successful congress.

100% correct. Put jake in the new pen and tom started strutting and gobbling immediately. Jake is not worried though he is try to service the chicken hens as the dust bathe.

Back
Top Bottom