Sick 4 month old chick, please help

TroyBlackburn

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 23, 2012
I've got a flock of 39 chickens, 7 which are over a year old (bought from hatchery), 19 which are 5 1/2 or so months old (also hatchery bought) and 13 which are 4 months old (incubated/hatched by me). I made the mistake of not immunizing them or feeding them medicated starter and I have previously lost 3 to Coccidiosis. I treated the others with Corid.

I noticed a couple of weeks or so ago that one of the ones I hatched tends to hide in a corner. I noticed today that both of it's eyes are cloudy and it seems lethargic. I have noticed that it tends to get picked on by the Barred Rock Roosters. I looked over the rest of the flock and do not see any others with cloudy eyes and most are running around the yard. A couple seem as though when perching they might have been allowing their wings to droop, though it has been a bit warm today. (New Orleans area).

The ones I hatched have just recently been incorporated into the rest of the flock. Unfortunately the weather here has been very wet the past few weeks and the ones I hatched have been stuck in a run area in which the ground has been very wet.

I also just noticed that the droppings from at least one of the 4 month old chicks that have been stuck in the wet run area are wet and may have a greenish color (not certain about the color) but it was definitely wet like diarrhea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Troy

Last edited:
I had the same kind of problen last week. I took the 4 month old chicks outside. One was VERY sad looking and yelled all the time. After he started being sicklish looking , like he was in trans or something. I stillam not sure what it was - but experienced people here suggested two things.
1) Give him "Pedialites" with honey - in case he got a shock of cold weather( it was 62 degrees - too cold for 4 week chick as I was told)
2) Somebody suggested to give him Corrid - in case it WAS a Cocchi( which I was surprised to here as I was feeding them medicated feed - but peeps say they still can get Cocci)
So I did both - and after couple days he feels fine now. Not sure what helped - Pedialites or Corrid though. You can try both.

Yes, and also are they still in brooder? As the experienced person with chicks said she only get them outside when they are 6 weeks. Some of them may be too fragile for exposing them to outside too early. Also the temperature should be high enough( the rule - 95 first week, and every week 5 degrees lower)

I really don't think they're too young to be outside they are 4 MONTHS old. They have been outside for over two months. I think more likely that one or more of them have gotten sick because of the recent weather and what it did to the ground in the area they have been. I have been keeping the 13 chickens I hatched in a covered run area 8' x 12'. They have not had a place to roost in there and over all the area has been kept clean and dry. However I have been gone much of the past couple of weeks or so and it has rained so much that the soil has been wet/muddy for over two weeks.mmthey of course have been living, eating and pooping in that area with the soil being wet and I was not around to clean it.

Just my thoughts, and I certainly do not want to discourage other ideas or cause to lead this down the wrong path; however the two things that stand out to me as the most likely causes of the chickens issue are:

13 chickens in a 8' x 12' run with no real way to perch and with wet/muddy chicken dropping laden soil.

Injuries from being pecked at/on by at least one of the roosters. I've definitely noticed this chicken getting picked on a lot by on of the roosters. I don't mean being mounted, I mean being picked on.

Any thoughts?

Thank You
Troy

No, please do not be sorry... It's an easy mistake and I appreciate the effort to help. Thank You

hI!
I do not have any experience with the bigger chicks like yours. But I notice this forum is not very busy. I usually posted my questions and problems on the general "Raising chicks" board and got a lot of responses.

Back
Top Bottom