Sick 4 month old duck

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Naziha, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Naziha

Naziha New Egg

Jan 31, 2016
    Hey, so my female duck is 4 months old and for the past month she's been sick. Started off with a slight difficulty in breathing but her condition's getting worse by the day. I find her panting most of the time, her wings always hang down, she has watery eyes and nose and severe diarrhea. she's gone super weak and of course she's eating very less because of all that. I keep her in a clean and cosy environment indoors. I took her to three different vets but none of the antibiotics and injections they've given seem to help so i'm losing all the hope. Does anyone know what might be the problem?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Hi, so sorry about your duck.

Since you have already consulted veterinarians and treated her with antibiotics without success, I honestly doubt anyone can offer you other suggestions. I am sorry to have nothing else to add, except I have lost 2 of my small flock of chickens last year and their illness and passing was devastating. But wanted to welcome you to BYC. We do understand.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on sunflour's post. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. I hope your duck recovers.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC although i am sorry its not under happier circumstances.

All the best
    CT

6. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

I'd post here:
    ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
    It's worth a shot. If it's not an infection, it might be environmental.

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

It could be a poisonous plant she ate. Like potatoes are toxic to chickens. I'm nor familiar with ducks. Good luck with her. :hugs

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please also post at the "Duck thread," with full details. Unless you have an avian vet, the duck people probably know much more about treating them. You really cant wait long with a sick bird especially a young one. Hope someone can help. If you could get a message to Miss Lydia, she is great with ailing ducks.

9. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry to hear your duck is ill. In addition to the emergency link you've been given, post here on the duck forum too:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

I hope someone can help you bring your duck back to good health. Good luck to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by