Sick 4 week old meat bird. Help

Silverpotter

In the Brooder
May 10, 2020
Help I now have two 4 wk old meat birds who have different symptoms. First old is hold his head up, but can not stand on legs. Keeps wanting to move but is unable to move legs. Eats fine, trouble drinking. Poops look normal. Second got sick three days after other one. This one just sits there, eyes closed. Will not eat. Yellow watery poop. I don't think it will live. But I don't know what is wrong with them. Can't afford to go to a vet. But I will if needed. Please help

Yes. He keeps flapping his wings, trying to move. He shivers and with each breath, His tail shakes. He is eating alittle but he is not drinking as much as he should. Poops are fine but small due to little food. I give him 22% chicken feed plus yogurt plus some berry juice. I add a small amount of grit since he can't get any. No swelling anywhere. Just put prebiotic in water but he won't drink it.

Attachments

• 20210420_191054.jpg
    20210420_191054.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 1
Sorry for your loss. Most state vets can perform a necropsy on bodies if it is kept cold, not frozen, and shipped to the state vet on a weekday. You could start some Corid to treat for possible coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Check your feed for any possible mold problem. Leg issues, which can be common in meat chickens, can lead to dehydration when they cannot get to water and food. I would make sure that all of the remaining birds are drinking well, and are not having any leg issues. Here is a list of state vets to contact for a necropsy:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom