Sick 5-Week old Chick

nb5347

Chirping
Aug 22, 2023
I've got a 5 week old maran that I picked up 4 days ago along with another one (hatch date July 11). I'm in Texas so we've been having a rough few days of heat and they have been outdoors though with shade. I put corid into their water as a preventative and have them separated in a smaller coop from the bigger chickens. This morning, I went out and found this little one just closing it's eyes a whole lot. I took her and her sister their feed and her sister started scratching and eating and this one just barely moved. I put out fresh water as I do everyday and she just kept closing her eyes. I contacted the farm I got them from and they recommended Blue Merricks electrolytes so I went and picked some up from them. She's definitely super fluffy feathered, which I've read can be bad? I've gotten her to drink by putting her beak into the water and she did start to eat a little bit on her own. But she keeps making a clicking noise and after eating a little bit goes off to a corner on my desk to "sleep." The last three chickens I brought home and had separated from the others also had a bit of a sneezing sound at first and so I had my entire flock on corid for a few days. Everyone was fine after a week. None of my older (5 month old) chickens started sneezing or anything. When I brought the two black copper marans, they did the same sneezing type sound so I placed corid into their water and have been doing so for 3 days (forgot to add yesterday) and now this morning, this little one does not seem well :( She's also tilting her little head back as she sleeps. Anything else I should be looking for or helping her with?

IMG_9273.jpg

My understanding of Corid is that it is specifically for treating coccidiosis....
And that is also what the label on my bottle states.

It sounds more like you are likely dealing w a respiratory issue- and your babies look like they are feeling pretty gross... whether due to the respiratory issue, the heat, or both

I might take one or two to an avian vet if that is an option.
Because it seems that is often not an option,

If you think it is more likely a virus, I’d go w Vet RX. My feed store doesn’t carry that- but I was able to get it in a day off Amazon.
If you think it is an infection, I’d go to the feed store and get some Tylan.

I’m sorry, I don’t have dosages on hand. But I’m sure it would pop up in a search by the different medications....

Hopefully a chicken keeper will also chime in soon 💕

My understanding of Corid is that it is specifically for treating coccidiosis....
And that is also what the label on my bottle states.

It sounds more like you are likely dealing w a respiratory issue- and your babies look like they are feeling pretty gross... whether due to the respiratory issue, the heat, or both

I might take one or two to an avian vet if that is an option.
Because it seems that is often not an option,

If you think it is more likely a virus, I’d go w Vet RX. My feed store doesn’t carry that- but I was able to get it in a day off Amazon.
If you think it is an infection, I’d go to the feed store and get some Tylan.

I’m sorry, I don’t have dosages on hand. But I’m sure it would pop up in a search by the different medications....

Hopefully a chicken keeper will also chime in soon 💕
I've got some vet rx on hand so I'll read on that! The corid has a 21 day preventative option as well so that's why I gave incase it was respiratory with the sneezing.

I'm hoping she'll perk up by tomorrow. I'm going to keep her inside over night. :( The other one seems to be doing just fine (though I'm worried she'll turn to). The farm said if the other one is fine to not move her out of her coop because that could stress her. I feel bad keeping them apart!

Welcome to BYC!

That sounds like a respiratory infection. The Corid won't help that, but I would first get her on Nutra Drench vitamin water and VetRX under the wings and near her nose will help her breathe, loosen up her lungs a little and maybe make her more comfortable.

If it is respiratory and she's not improving, she probably should have antibiotics. If you are in the U.S. and can't get to a vet to get some, Chewy and other places sell Amoxicillin for fish aquariums in 100 and 200 mg. Look up the dosage for chicks if you go that route.

I hope she pulls through this.

Welcome to BYC!

That sounds like a respiratory infection. The Corid won't help that, but I would first get her on Nutra Drench vitamin water and VetRX under the wings and near her nose will help her breathe, loosen up her lungs a little and maybe make her more comfortable.

If it is respiratory and she's not improving, she probably should have antibiotics. If you are in the U.S. and can't get to a vet to get some, Chewy and other places sell Amoxicillin for fish aquariums in 100 and 200 mg. Look up the dosage for chicks if you go that route.

I hope she pulls through this.
Thank you!! I'm going to go ahead and get that Amox ordered just incase. I've got some vitamin water and vetrx on hand so I'll start her on that.

I totally understand that- although, with my ducks- I have only had to separate to treat bumblefoot on rare occasion, and the birds have actually seemed to be more relieved to not have to “deal” with their coop mates than stressed about being solo. They have access to all the food and water they need, and can rest as much as they need to.

If they start to call for their friends, you know they are well along the road to recovery. But none of mine have done that lol even once they were feeling better!

I also have not had issues with re integration.... perhaps I’ve been lucky. But once the quarantined “patient” is feeling better and I’m comfortable about putting her back w her friends, I either let them out to free range, or toss out some of their favorite treats, and put the “patient” back w the group while everyone is distracted.
Of course I make sure I’m around to keep an eye on everyone, but I’ve not had to intervene thus far. Everyone is more like, oh, hey friend! Let’s keep eating! And they all go to bed together once they are fat and happy 😂

I have some questions that are provoked by the proportions of the chick pictured.

Is this chick a bantam breed? Or is it much smaller than the rest? Judging from the state of feathering, it should have a much wider proportion of head to body ratio. If this is not a bantam, then it is likely suffering from failure-to-thrive syndrome.

Second question. What all are you feeding the chicks including any treats aside from chick crumbles? Also, are you supplying chick grit?

I have some questions that are provoked by the proportions of the chick pictured.

Is this chick a bantam breed? Or is it much smaller than the rest? Judging from the state of feathering, it should have a much wider proportion of head to body ratio. If this is not a bantam, then it is likely suffering from failure-to-thrive syndrome.

Second question. What all are you feeding the chicks including any treats aside from chick crumbles? Also, are you supplying chick grit?
I did not think that she was a bantam breed. I don't find her much smaller than the other one but right now it seems her neck is tucked in. It was not like that on Thursday. I tried to get a picture of her with her sister but her sister won't sit still. Attaching a couple more photos of her and then one of her sibling.

I feed chick crumbles. I tried giving them watermelon but they had no interest in it. I was thinking to scramble up an egg and give to her.

*middle photo is her sibling, outer photos are the one that is not feeling well :(

Attachments

• IMG_9274.jpg
    IMG_9274.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9275.jpg
    IMG_9275.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9277.jpg
    IMG_9277.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Back