Sick 6 week old chick... many symptoms

Another update!!
Flynney is doing so well. I’ve had some people say it’s a cockerel and some say a pullet, but since she has a lack of saddle feathers atm I’m calling her a girl😂

View attachment 2427904

She has progressed so much in movement and growth. She is still awfully small for her age but growing quickly. When I first got her she only weighed 7oz, now she is over 2ibs. She isn’t a bag of bones anymore, when I pick her up I can’t feel every bone like I used to. She is pretty much normal now!

We converted the doghouse into a coop directly after I found her one morning hanging from her beak in her cage. I’m guessing she tried to jump and got the hook of her beak stuck on the top wire. She was bleeding badly and nearly gave me a heart attack, I thought something in her jaw had ripped. Once it clotted I could see that the side of the beak directly under the nostril had ripped. It has healed fine.
View attachment 2427905
(This pic was about an hour after I discovered her)

We made a small run around her house and she is let out for a couple hours each day to free range as well, and occasionally taken on car rides.

She was still eating only mash until a couple of weeks ago. I knew she could eat the dry food but she didn’t drink water, buuuuttt, literally the day after I posted the last update I met someone who had chicks they were raising and they would be ready to bring home in a few weeks. They were ready two weeks ago and once she was home she showed Flynn how to drink! So now Flynn is on a normal diet.

Another cool thing with the other chicken(still haven’t named her yet) is that I was worried about Flynn being too territorial and picking a fight with the new girl, and they had to be able to share the house in two days, becuase it was going to rain. Somebody said there was a 1% chance of them sharing a house in two days. Well, they shared a house in one day. The day the other chicken came home, we kept them separated, for the 1.5 hours before dark. They slept separated. The next day we put them together and Flynn only did minimal pecking and then they got along fine. I think she’s glad to have a friend!! They snuggle at night(they have a roost, they don’t use it, prefer to have their nest in the shavings) sun and dust bathe together, and play some modified version of tag.

View attachment 2427906
View attachment 2427900
View attachment 2427901View attachment 2427902
View attachment 2427903

@Wyorp Rock
@oldhenlikesdogs
Awww! :love I'm so glad to hear she is doing well and has a buddy!
Thank you for the update and photos:)

I know they can be mean, in fact his flock tried to kill him as well, before I took him out and isolated him. I’m planning on him meeting a few chickens I have in mind that I know to be nice, and go from there. I’d like him to have a buddy this winter, but I won’t just put him in with a potentially mean coop mate. Do you think it would be alright if he went through the winter without a buddy and I bought a chick in the spring that would grow up with him? I feel bad if he was by himself. Now that he can move, he likes to lay in my lap and snuggle up to a stuffed duck at night.

my same outsider one loves to cuddle in the house but I am now thinking that that may further alienate her from the flock. Right now my outsider is in the chicken yard, but I locked up two bullies in a different coop and run inside the chicken yard and one semi-bully that started crowing is locked in the garage at night. That leaves the outsider with the three lowest chickens and, would you know it, the lowest chicken I have now pecks my outsider who spends her days on top of the coop. I put food and water up there and am hoping she evidentially makes it back into the flock.

Attachments

• 4991979B-D3FE-4A2B-B670-C85BEB83957A.jpeg
    4991979B-D3FE-4A2B-B670-C85BEB83957A.jpeg
    402.7 KB · Views: 3
Another and probably last update on Flynney.
She laid her first egg today!! I can’t even express how proud I am of her. A couple of months ago she was barely alive, and I could have never imagined her living to lay an egg.
It’s a beautiful pinkish colored one. Large, too, almost as large as a store bought one we have!
F5F2E92C-5187-4943-B486-5AC6A61C0975.jpeg

This the first pic I have of her:
1FB781D7-8700-43E1-B80C-A436127A25EB.jpeg

And then to this...
39EDEFCE-B35C-4F1F-A764-A94617049828.jpeg

I can’t believe it.

Attachments

• E9D05BB0-541A-43BC-B301-CCC5A1E80C02.jpeg
    E9D05BB0-541A-43BC-B301-CCC5A1E80C02.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 0
Another and probably last update on Flynney.
She laid her first egg today!! I can’t even express how proud I am of her. A couple of months ago she was barely alive, and I could have never imagined her living to lay an egg.
It’s a beautiful pinkish colored one. Large, too, almost as large as a store bought one we have! View attachment 2450139

This the first pic I have of her:
View attachment 2450142

And then to this...
View attachment 2450143

I can’t believe it.
You did a great job. Congratulations!🎈🎊🎉

Back
Top Bottom