Sick 6 week old chick... many symptoms

Update:
He seems cheery still and is walking more, an average of 20 feet a day now. Eating a ton and has gained 1.5oz in 5 days. Still tiny compared to other chicks he hatched out withšŸ˜¢ Still havenā€™t named him LOL, I canā€™t think of anything that fitsšŸ˜‚ Also have been taking him on car rides, he loves it!!

@Wyorp Rock @oldhenlikesdogs

Attachments

• 5BC9AD98-1331-4D99-AF62-BA847DF29A25.jpeg
    5BC9AD98-1331-4D99-AF62-BA847DF29A25.jpeg
    417.8 KB · Views: 13
  • A4C09D33-F049-41F5-B9F3-B681102ADAFF.jpeg
    A4C09D33-F049-41F5-B9F3-B681102ADAFF.jpeg
    524.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 2DF159CF-2AB4-4768-AFF4-6FAEC08E6482.jpeg
    2DF159CF-2AB4-4768-AFF4-6FAEC08E6482.jpeg
    677.9 KB · Views: 18
Update!!!
First, his name is Flynn. Heā€™s named after the Flynn is Disneyā€™s Tangled. Still not standing on his own but is walking with help, gained some more weight but only weighs about 1 pound. He can eat on his own now though, so that has helped him gain weight. I have a deep bowl I set in the shavings and he can eat while laying down. I do think heā€™s part silkie and so he might be smaller genetically.
Today I woke up to 3-4 small yellow thing with legs on him, but they were dead due to the diatomaceous earth I put on his behind at night. It kind of freaked me out, I donā€™t want another maggot infestation! So I gave his behind another bath and trimmed feathers back there. At the time of the first maggot attack, they ate a lot of his tail skin(where the tail feathers grow out of) and it was very red and mushy looking. It healed after I put triple antibiotic cream on it for a couple days, and scanned up. The only problem now is the scab has been stuck in his tail feathers. I removed most of it today, but I noticed some of the feather shafts have a cakey yellow substance around them. Iā€™m hoping now that the scab is off it will dry out and completely healšŸ¤žšŸ»

Attachments

• 54322884-AF10-4B73-8AA7-3CB21576BC16.jpeg
    54322884-AF10-4B73-8AA7-3CB21576BC16.jpeg
    561.4 KB · Views: 13
Update!!!
First, his name is Flynn. Heā€™s named after the Flynn is Disneyā€™s Tangled. Still not standing on his own but is walking with help, gained some more weight but only weighs about 1 pound. He can eat on his own now though, so that has helped him gain weight. I have a deep bowl I set in the shavings and he can eat while laying down. I do think heā€™s part silkie and so he might be smaller genetically.
Today I woke up to 3-4 small yellow thing with legs on him, but they were dead due to the diatomaceous earth I put on his behind at night. It kind of freaked me out, I donā€™t want another maggot infestation! So I gave his behind another bath and trimmed feathers back there. At the time of the first maggot attack, they ate a lot of his tail skin(where the tail feathers grow out of) and it was very red and mushy looking. It healed after I put triple antibiotic cream on it for a couple days, and scanned up. The only problem now is the scab has been stuck in his tail feathers. I removed most of it today, but I noticed some of the feather shafts have a cakey yellow substance around them. Iā€™m hoping now that the scab is off it will dry out and completely healšŸ¤žšŸ»

I'm glad to hear he is still improving. Small steps!

I think you are doing a good job taking care of him. Thank you for the update.

Hello, I'm taking care of a chick that is about 6-7 weeks old. He or she cannot walk, which indicates Merek's, yet he was hatched into an established flock with no new chickens introduced since he hatched. I have been hand feeding and watering him since he cant stand up, and yesterday I woke up to small worms all over his behind. I gave him a bath and removed the worms, and started including diatomaceous earth in his food. Other then pooping out a few, there hasn't been anymore worms. Ever since the worm blowout he has been very tired, but has a good appetite. I have been giving him electrolyte water as well as plain water. He also has a cross beak, so has been on mash, so he is getting lots of fluids. He has so many symptoms for different diseases, I have no idea what to do. His mash is a mixture of Cream of Wheat, ground vegetables, chick starter, DE, and water. He has runny to soft poop, however it is light brown/tan and has no urates that I can see. A lot of poop is stuck to his behind, but he cheeps loudly when I try to clean him, but his vent looks irritated. I have trimmed his feathers so the poop doesn't build up. Any ideas what is wrong with him?
Poor baby. He either could have maggots on his back side from all the poop build up or a case of fly strike. Has he been outside the entire length of his life?

Poor baby. He either could have maggots on his back side from all the poop build up or a case of fly strike. Has he been outside the entire length of his life?
Yes, pretty much. Only inside for short periods of time. His poop was building up on his backside, since the maggots I have kept the feathers trimmed and given him regular baths. I havenā€™t had a second case and itā€™s been almost two months so Iā€™m hoping the poop building up was the problem.

Yes, pretty much. Only inside for short periods of time. His poop was building up on his backside, since the maggots I have kept the feathers trimmed and given him regular baths. I havenā€™t had a second case and itā€™s been almost two months so Iā€™m hoping the poop building up was the problem.
Poop build up can also cause pasty butt which can be fatal. If cross beak is congenital, you may not want to let this chicken reproduce, but eggs should be fine if it turns out not to be a roo.

Poop build up can also cause pasty butt which can be fatal. If cross beak is congenital, you may not want to let this chicken reproduce, but eggs should be fine if it turns out not to be a roo.
We wonā€™t have to worry about him reproducing, we donā€™t have other chickens and when we get him a companion it will be a silkie cross rooster.

Back
Top Bottom