Sick all but 3 weeks.... tired of this. Will it REALLY get better?

I offer my sympathy - we are going through it too - but my kids are in 2nd and 3rd grade and we have done it every year. I am also contemplating homeschooling. Our school system has a policy of 24 hours fever and vomit free, and if a kids misses 3 days, then they can only go back with a Dr. note. Well, so many parents send kids to school sick to circumvent those rules that we never get a break. I admit I do it too. I am not taking my kid to the Dr. for a simple virus. I had to once and our Dr. asked me why we were bringing the kids in for a cold, and when I told her, she just shook her head. But they won't write excuses over the phone for liability reasons. So what ARE we supposed to do? Not many people can afford to take their kids to the Dr. for an excuse every time they get a cold. We eat a healthy diet and I treat homeopathically when possible, but sometimes a cold needs to run it's course.
OK, I'm gettin fired up so I better quit.

Quote:
Quite possible, but nothing will be done about it. No money and honestly the school admin doesnt care about the kids.
I found out last week that strep is making its way through as well.
roll.png

Getting appts with doctors here is near impossible. Even when it is your regular doctor. It took me 4 MONTHS to get to see her pedi for her 6 year physical. All the while I had the school sending home letters and notes. I would make an appt then get a call the day before that her pedi wasnt going to be available. One time I got her, drove over there and THEN was told her pedi wasnt in. I was NOT happy.

So today we are all sick and staying home. Dh got up this morning hacking, I am feeling like crap and the kid is still coughing and has dark circles under her eyes.

I am sure the school will be calling wondering where she is. I stopped calling them back letting them know she was sick. Again. months ago.

It just stinks. She loves school. Loves learning. Is in the advanced reading group and is doing really well. But she is sick ALL the time.

Right with you Vicki. It now costs us $25 per doctor visit. And I know that they "cant do anything" for most of what they are sick with. But I blame most of this on the school. Telling parents to send a kid no matter how sick they are isnt helping. And then to send home another letter basically threatening parents into sending the kids, "or the courts will get involved"? Come on. I understand the importance of attendance. But give me a break.

One of the HS in a city south of us actually told parents to keep the kids HOME after more than 20% of the student population got sick with the flu. But it was probably caused by the "send them to school" policy and the fact some parents either cant or wont keep them home for a few days.

Last edited:
I know what it's like to have a kid sick all the time.
frow.gif

I ended up homeschooling my ill child.
My youngest had all the symptoms I had at her age and I kept after her Dr. to get a diagnosis. It turned out that we have a genetic condition called Ehlers-Danlos syndrome.
I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 6 years ago after suffering my whole life.
Doctors & school principals can be bullies.
Sometimes there are doctors doing research and you can get care for free, look up the symptoms online if you can.
Sometimes there are different effects of a condition or even a rare condition that the doctors are not aware of.
I'll keep you in my prayers.
hugs.gif

I see my children are not the only one with the "colds" and/or "tummy" virus's.

I hope you all get to feeling better.

hugs,
g

We have dealt with this for years. 2 of my children have chronic health issues. We are allowed 5 absences per semester, 10 for the year, but the 10 can't be in one semester. If you get to 6 the courts come in. You must have an excuse for each day your child is sick, so if they have strep, you have to have each day they are out excused. I don't know how parents without insurance do it. The co pays to buy my stupid excuse when they are throwing up or have the same nasty virus everyone else had in the family are ridiculous. And it all comes down to the school getting money for each day your child is in school. It is a system that needs to come down.

Maplesky- I just read that your kids are both sick. ((HUGS)) It has been a tough Sept - Feb so far.

We got her "report card" last Friday.
She has been out 11 times since the beginning of school.
roll.png

When I drop her off int he am I talk to her teachers aid. She told me that in her KG class alone , on average they have had 9 out of the 23 kids out per DAY. And there are 4 KG classes. She told me all the classes are like this this year. One kid barfed all over the substitute music teacher. She was in because the regular music teacher was out with strep. So I am waiting for that to hit the house now.

I was out of work all last week. Went in Monday and then Tues on I couldnt move. My muscles hurt. My chest still hurts. The headache went down into my shoulders. So I slept from the time I dropped her off til the time I had to pick her up. Still not 100% but I have to go to work Monday. And NOTHING is working. Not the Nyquil. Not the Theraflu. The other night I threw up while I was coughing. Yeah. That was attractive.
roll.png

Last edited:
Rhett&SarahsMom :

She told me that in her KG class alone , on average they have had 9 out of the 23 kids out per DAY.
roll.png

Yikes! Sounds the health department needs to take a look. I know of a district, here in MI, that shut down for a few days to extinguish a flu epidemic.
Another thing that came to my mind: The schools do an AWFUL job of having kids wash their hands before meals & snacks. They just WON'T! Years ago (before I began homeschooling), I was volunteering in my kid's class & asked when the kids would have a chance to wash up. I was told there was not time. I started sending Kid to school w/handiwipes...
I am sorry you are dealing with this.​

mmm...that IS attractive.

funny-1.gif

I just had ta. I was still holdin on to that after teasing about all the Dr. House lovers in my sick girls thread.

I am having the pain in my neck and shoulders and fatigued too. iy yi yi.

My 7 year old had the barfys on top of the flu the week before Valentine's day. Her teacher was out for a week, half the class was gone, and then the pre-school teacher was home sick too the week after. And I kept thinking...boy, we've been blessed that that one skipped us. wrong. so so so wrong.

Hope you all are taking it easy and get to feeling better soon...and that goes for everyone.

hugs,
gretchen

from what she has told me the kids wash their hands before snack and lunch. Problem is.

They do this morning routine that involves all the kids SHAKING HANDS!

I make sure that Sarah brushes her teeth and washes her hands before she leaves the house in the morning. But I am sure that other, more harried or uncaring parents dont. So I told dd that she is not allowed to shake hands anymore. She can "bump" elbows.
wink.png
But no more hand shaking.
I also told the TA this. She laughed at me until I told her I was VERY serious. I mean come on. Why exacerbate the problem? They want the kids in school. But at least have them keep their hands a little bit more to themselves.
One of the little girls in the class has asthma. Her mom told me that the poor kid has been worse this year and has missed nearly 3 weeks because she simply can not breath she is so sick. But hey. Send em to school! Cant have the numbers they have to keep up for the "no child left behind" act fall. Childrens physical health be darned

When I was in the service everytime I got stationed somewhere new I was ussually sick for a few weeks while my body built up immunities to the new viruses.

Very Respectfully,
Joshua Garner

Back
Top Bottom