Sick babies and questions about polyvisol drops

Krazieliss702

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 10, 2010
i got some chicks from cackle hatchery on wednesday i already lost 6 in the first day since i brought them home ( i think it was way too cold when they were shipped) i have 10 that are now doing fantastic but i still have 2 wee ones that are not doing well at all. They are barely eating and drinking and all they do is sleep. I have them separated in the brooder with water and food close by them and available but they are not getting up.. I keep trying to get them to eat and drink but not much luck. If anyone can give me some suggestions to get them to eat/drink and any information on the polyvisol drops because i have never used them and dont know where to get them it would be greatly appreciated. I dont want to lose any more babies.
sad.png

You can get them at any grocery or pharmacy. They're in the infant section, just make sure to get the ones without iron. I'm not 100% sure on the proper dose, I just give them a drop 2x/day.

It is probably good that they are sleeping, probably what they really need right now. Try and offer them some cooked egg yolk, that would be really good for them. My little problem one slept a lot her first few days. I gave her poly-vi-sol drops, diluted by half, one drop twice a day. Even one of those diluted drops would probably be plenty for them (just put it next to the beak until they slurp it in). Make sure they have access to both hot and cooler areas in their little mini brooder. Sorry you are having such a tough time!. Oh, and no more sugar now.

Back
Top Bottom