Sick baby Rooster

DixieCoFLgirl

Chirping
Apr 19, 2020
Hey all….. I woke up this morning and my little rooster Ernest T, ran straight to the water and drank and drank and drank. Then he just sat down and didn’t move. The coop smells terrible and I noticed it first thing when I let them out. I waited about 20 minutes and then went back out and he was still laying by the water. So I brought him in and made him a little box in the house because it’s going to be very hot today here in Florida. He hasn’t moved at all since I brought him in. I did give him some Neutra drench. His comb is more pale than usual and has some dark edging. What do you guys think is going on? What should I do?

ran straight to the water and drank and drank and drank. Then he just sat down and didn’t move. The coop smells terrible and I noticed it first thing when I let them out. I waited about 20 minutes and then went back out and he was still laying by the water.
Can you please post some photos - of Earnest T, his poop and housing?

Drinking a lot of water, I would check to make sure his crop is emptying overnight.

How much ventilation in your coop?

Drinking a lot of water, I would check to make sure his crop is emptying overnight.

I’m at work now. I can when I get home. His coop has vents at the top and a large vented door covered with hardware cloth. I knew I should’ve taken a picture of him before I left😒. He’s ruffled and looks pissed off. I offered him some yogurt (which he loves) and feed and he turned away from it.

Here are some pictures I got of him. I felt his crop and it feels very spongy. He made a burping noise and it smelled like yeast. Is his crop not emptying?

Attachments

• 0B687469-A4B8-4407-8DE0-C75922092692.jpeg
    0B687469-A4B8-4407-8DE0-C75922092692.jpeg
    448.1 KB · Views: 2
  • F92DEB40-8263-4E9E-8BB6-C148BEA5FB31.jpeg
    F92DEB40-8263-4E9E-8BB6-C148BEA5FB31.jpeg
    372.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 6492D953-B40F-49C4-B831-70531C23FBA0.jpeg
    6492D953-B40F-49C4-B831-70531C23FBA0.jpeg
    544.5 KB · Views: 2
Here are some pictures I got of him. I felt his crop and it feels very spongy. He made a burping noise and it smelled like yeast. Is his crop not emptying?
I would treat him for sour crop is it feels spongy and there's a yeasty odor.
Treatment is outlined in this article https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

How old is he? If you can get a fecal float to see if worms and/or Coccidiosis are part of the reason why his crop is not emptying/functioning that would be good. Nonetheless I would still treat for sour crop using an anti-fungal.

Back
Top Bottom