Sick Baby Turkeys!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ducklover15, Aug 28, 2010.

1. We lost one baby turkey last night and have 9 more sick.

They are bleeding from their vent and secreting a milky substance as well. Also their poop is a little runny. They're only 4-5 days old.

They are on Dumor Chick Starter/Grower from tractor supply.

They have 2 heat lamps, wood shavings as bedding and a small plastic waterer and feeder. There are 31 poults all together, but the sick ones have been moved.

Any ideas?

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Sounds like coccidia. Start them on Corid (cattle med) (at Tractor Supply or feed store) for coccidia, in liquid form 1 teaspoon per gallon, in powder 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. Make them drink it. Get them off the ground on wire if they aren't already. Keep them warm. Try feeding scrambled egg to keep up strength....

3. caral07

caral07 Songster

Jun 18, 2010
    Ruston Louisiana
    I agree with chickenzoo!!!! GOODLUCK![​IMG]

4. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Was the chick starter with Amprol? if not it might be that they are eating the shavings? Turkeys are not the smartest. Good luck!

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Even with medicated feed they can still get coccidia, medicated feed is just a preventative..... warmer climates often have more trouble. I would hope that 9 turkeys would not be that dumb to all eat shavings....... but could happen, still I'd try Corid anyhow.

6. Thanks so much! I'll get some stuff today!

7. Man this disease is terrible...we keep loosing poults. Is there anything else we can do or is it just in God's hands?

8. Lost three more last night... [​IMG]

We're down to 17 from 32...

9. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Oh my. So sorry to hear about your loss.

It is disturbing when I read the posts about losing baby poults. It's so hard to raise them. I wish we could find something to wipe away this disease that they get.

Keep us posted. Good Luck. I hope that you don't lose anymore. [​IMG]

10. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Do you have them off the ground on wire? If they were pooing a lot of blood they were in later stages of the coccidia infection which means they have to overcome more damage.... keep up with the Corid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by