sick bantam rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DaniLovesChickens, Nov 10, 2010.

1. DaniLovesChickens

DaniLovesChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    One of my bantam roosters (I have 2) started sneezing. The weather had just gotten VERY cold. He also was shaking his head.

He isn't one that I can just pick up so it's been a little difficult - man those bantams can really cruise on those little legs:) I was able to get him after a couple of days by sneaking in the hen house early in the morning. I thought he was coughing also, but I think that the sound is actually what comes out when he tries to crow.

We have had him for 2 years. He was anywhere from 1 - 3 years old then.

None of our other chickens has shown any signs of being sick. Johnny has now been ill for almost a week. He is closer to being able to crow. He is sneezing less. He just still isn't feeling well and I don't know what to do.

I put Eprinex pour-on on the back of his neck (I was thinking of doing this for everyone anyway - low egg prod) because I wondered and worried about gapeworm. I know it can kill a small chicken.

Any ideas? I really am at a loss for something with these symptoms that isn't contagious at all! I just don't know what to do! [​IMG]

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have a little bantam cross breed that 2 weeks ago started a runny nose and swollen on one side of his face. Started him on duramyacin 10 took him to the vet she said a sinus infection and keep him on the antibotic for 2 weeks. He was always eating drinking acting fine. I isolated him and his 2 girls from the others. The others are fine never showed symptoms but vet said to treat them too. My problem is he still sneezes no discharge or swollen, but then again he has sneezed almost since I brought him home when he was about 3 weeks old. he is about 13 weeks old now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by